Wireless Access

last person joined: 22 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Block OpenVPN Outbound on Port 443

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  Block OpenVPN Outbound on Port 443

Posted Sep 24, 2015 10:37 AM

I'm trying to understand deep packet inspection more.  let's say you have a wifi client on your network and you only allow 80 and 443 out to the internet.  Let's say that a wifi client has Openvpn installed on their device and it is configured to connect to 443 at the remote site.  Just curious if the Aruba controller is smart enough to say, "aha, that is openvpn-type traffic even though it just looks like TCP 443 traffic"  ...hope that makes sense.

• 2.  RE: Block OpenVPN Outbound on Port 443

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 24, 2015 11:37 AM

It is supposed to detect the OpenVPN handshake.  It is possible that other VPNs with the same handshakes will be blocked as well.

I personally have not tested the different flavors of OpenVPN with Apprf.

• 3.  RE: Block OpenVPN Outbound on Port 443

Posted Oct 05, 2015 11:18 AM

Thanks.  It's supposed to block the handshake regardless of the destination port and tcp/udp?  If I get around to testing it I'll post my results back on this post, thanks.

• 4.  RE: Block OpenVPN Outbound on Port 443

Posted Nov 02, 2015 12:00 PM

Ok, FWIW I got around to testing this and it appears that if you use an application firewall rule and specify block "openvpn" it will NOT block my android phone running OpenVPN connect app which connects outbound on port TCP443 (so it slips past most firewalls).  I was hoping this next-gen Aruba firewall would be smart enough to sniff out OpenVPN traffic over TCP 443 outbound but apparently not unless somebody knows some other trick/setting I'm issing?  Thanks.

• 5.  RE: Block OpenVPN Outbound on Port 443

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 02, 2015 12:03 PM

Can you open a TAC case so we can  take a look at your setup?

• 6.  RE: Block OpenVPN Outbound on Port 443

Posted Nov 02, 2015 12:20 PM

Before calling TAC, I tinkered some more and after tinkering some more I got it working so I apologize: the next-gen firewall IS smart enough to block OpenVPN on TCP 443 outbound, cool.

• 7.  RE: Block OpenVPN Outbound on Port 443

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 02, 2015 12:22 PM

Can you please detail your policy and client setup, so others can benefit?

• 8.  RE: Block OpenVPN Outbound on Port 443

Posted Nov 02, 2015 12:23 PM

Great!  That make you the expert, so please share what you did.