Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Branch office vlans

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  Branch office vlans

Posted Jun 14, 2019 05:38 PM

We'd like to extend central vlans to branch offices in the same manner as RAP. Does anyone know how to get this done using a branch office controller instead? About 20 site APs, no local services available.

• 2.  RE: Branch office vlans

Posted Jun 16, 2019 05:34 PM

What kind of controllers do you have at Branch and at HQ? 

What version of ArubaOS, and is there a Mobility Master?

If you don't already have a controller...did you know that you can achieve this with IAP also?

• 3.  RE: Branch office vlans

Posted Jun 17, 2019 02:54 AM

Hi!

What´s your use case for extending central VLANs out to the branches? Alot of the benefits with a branch-office controller comes when you use the local subnets and the controller as the default gateway. I´d only extend vlans centrally for very specific use cases.

If you still want to extend VLANs you might take a look at creating GRE tunnels.

Cheers,

• 4.  RE: Branch office vlans

Posted Jun 17, 2019 04:42 PM

Our "branch" office look more like offsite locations. We have dedicated vlans for UPS, cameras, security devices, etc. It's useful to have remote sites look like "campus" to clients. -- Jim

• 5.  RE: Branch office vlans

Posted Jun 27, 2019 09:33 AM

Hi!

You can get everything to look and work like your main campus using local VLANs and L3-routing instead of extending VLANs. Only difference would be that you´ll end up in another IP subnet on each remote location. Segmenting different types of devices could be done via user-roles instead of dedicated VLANs.

Do you guys have Clearpass?

Cheers,

• 6.  RE: Branch office vlans

Posted Jul 01, 2019 03:30 PM

We do not have Clearpass. I can get the wireless part working using local subnets. We have several vlans that would convenient to extend --  switch management, UPS, cameras, etc. I can do one of these using a L2 tunnel with source and destination address of the controllers. It seems I could do another using a destination IP address on the master controller but doesn't seem to work. Branch 7030 to 7210 master. Also tried source as vlan #. I'm sure I'm missing something major. Steps? Thanks!