Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Bridge mode features vs tunnel mode

This thread has been viewed 49 times
  • 1.  Bridge mode features vs tunnel mode

Posted Sep 14, 2012 10:55 AM

Hello,

I am a beginner on Aruba, but I well know others manufacturer Wifi products.

I am testing Aruba products in Aruba OS V6.1 (A620 + AP105 + AP93) with SSID in "bridge" mode.

it appears that "bridge" mode have less features than "tunnel" mode (user derivationrule for example).

Does someone have a document or can explain me the features differences between the two modes ?

thanks,

Movilann 

• 2.  RE: Bridge mode features vs tunnel mode

Posted Sep 14, 2012 11:46 AM
    I believe the RAP VRD available at http://www.arubanetworks.com/wp-content/uploads/RAPVRD_version_8.pdf will be a good source to look at the difference between the 3 forwarding modes.

Look at Chapter 11 Forwarding Modes

• 3.  RE: Bridge mode features vs tunnel mode
    Best Answer

Posted Sep 14, 2012 01:09 PM

Hello here you will see more information about that topic of Bridge mode in campus mode in which i think you are referring to

http://www.arubanetworks.com/pdf/technology/DG_Mobility-Controllers-Deployment-Models-5.0-VRD.pdf

Page 41 and 42

Also this is what it says on the user guide

User guides does point you a list of features you loose on bridge mode page 803

Most ArubaOS features are supported in all forwarding modes. However, there are a some features that are
    not supported in one or more forwarding modes. Campus APs do not support split-tunnel forwarding mode
    and the decrypt-tunnel forwarding mode does not support TKIP Counter measure management on campus
    APs or remote APs.

Bridge mode

Firewall—SIP/SCCP/RTP/RTSP Voice Support
    Firewall—Alcatel NOE Support
    Voice over Mesh
    Video over Mesh
    Named VLAN
    Captive portal
    Rate Limiting for broadcast/multicast
    Power save: Wireless battery boost
    Power save: Drop wireless multicast traffic
    Power save: Proxy ARP (global)
    Power save: Proxy ARP (per-SSID)
    Automatic Voice Flow Classification

SIP ALG
    SIP: SIP authentication tracking
    SIP: CAC enforcement enhancements
    SIP: Phone number awareness
    SIP: R-Value computation
    SIP: Delay measurement
    Management: Voice-specific views
    Management: Voice client statistics
    Management: Voice client troubleshooting
    Voice protocol monitoring/reporting
    SVP ALG
    H.323 ALG
    Vocera ALG
    SCCP ALG
    NOE ALG
    Layer 3 Mobility
    IGMP Proxy Mobility
    Mobile IP
    TKIP countermeasure mgmt
    Bandwidth based CAC
    Dynamic Multicast Optimization

• 4.  RE: Bridge mode features vs tunnel mode

Posted Sep 14, 2012 03:06 PM

Hi,

thanks for your reply.

the list is not complete, you can add:

- User derivated rules

- firewall rules logging to syslog server

I am disapointed, it will be difficult to deploy 802.11n architecture with hight throutputs (video), or optimized data management (VLAN RADIUS attribut) because if I want these features I must use the "tunnel" mode and concentrated all the data flows to the wireless controller. The controller could be the bottleneck of my Wifi network.

thanks,

Movilann

• 5.  RE: Bridge mode features vs tunnel mode

Posted Sep 17, 2012 01:11 PM

Just curious, but have you done any throughput testing that shows that the controller is the bottle neck?

• 6.  RE: Bridge mode features vs tunnel mode

Posted Sep 17, 2012 01:29 PM

Are yousure derived roles does not work?

Because they are working just fine on bridge mode on my lab...

I also got many deployment in which they want to put the controller on IDC.... which is located obiosly not in their central or remote branches

The thing is that to not saturate their link to the IDC i explain them how does the solution work and i give them the option of putting the APS on bridge mode.

Some of them tell me no there is no issue put them on tunnel mode... or other clients just tell me well i got slow links ill need you to put it on bridge mode...

The thing is that on the VRD this scenario does not exist so i dont have any aruba recommendation fo rhtis specfic scenario....

I do point them the list of features they loss.

• 7.  RE: Bridge mode features vs tunnel mode

Posted Sep 17, 2012 02:03 PM

It does not appear on that list but you can add DHCP fingerprint.... it doesnt work on AP Campus bridge mode... at least that what is says the documentation of fingerprint

• 8.  RE: Bridge mode features vs tunnel mode

Posted Oct 25, 2012 12:07 PM

I was concerned about the controller being a bottleneck in my environment too... but when I looked at the interface on the controller I found that it was only averaging about a 25% load - with occasional peaks.

This is on a site with about 100 APs and 1000 clients doing everything from Facebook to Netflix.

• 9.  RE: Bridge mode features vs tunnel mode

Posted Dec 11, 2017 07:57 PM
    In the case of vm version controller. I think the bottleneck would be on the physical interface of the server. Then bridge mode would be the recommended.

Any comment please.

• 10.  RE: Bridge mode features vs tunnel mode

Posted Jan 08, 2018 05:51 PM

Link doesnt work