Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Bridge ssid and server rule for different vlan

This thread has been viewed 6 times
  • 1.  Bridge ssid and server rule for different vlan

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 19, 2015 04:29 AM

I could test this easy enough in the lab, but won't have access to it for a while so hopefully someone can answer.

We will be putting some clinets onto a different vlan by the use of server rules such that they get a different role with a different vlan in it.  I was wondering if the ssid is in bridge mode, will this traffic still get bridged and tagged with the appropriate vlan?

• 2.  RE: Bridge ssid and server rule for different vlan

Posted May 19, 2015 04:44 AM

Hi,

In my knowledge, It depends on which device the user traffic is getting terminated. as you said SSID is on bridge mode, surely traffic is not going to terminate on the controller hence check device (other than the Controller)which is the RADIUS client . if that device is capable of mapping Role and VLAN, this scenario may be possible.

• 3.  RE: Bridge ssid and server rule for different vlan
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 19, 2015 06:40 AM

@Michael_Clarke wrote:

I could test this easy enough in the lab, but won't have access to it for a while so hopefully someone can answer.

We will be putting some clinets onto a different vlan by the use of server rules such that they get a different role with a different vlan in it.  I was wondering if the ssid is in bridge mode, will this traffic still get bridged and tagged with the appropriate vlan?

Vlan derivation is not supported in bridge or split tunnel mode http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Controller-Based-WLANs/Which-of-the-derived-vlans-take-priority-if-UDR-MAC-auth-and/ta-p/177432

• 4.  RE: Bridge ssid and server rule for different vlan

Posted May 19, 2015 06:50 AM

can the  802.1X authentication  in the bridge mode.

• 5.  RE: Bridge ssid and server rule for different vlan

Posted May 19, 2015 06:51 AM

Yes we can do dot1x with Bridge mode.

• 6.  RE: Bridge ssid and server rule for different vlan

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 19, 2015 06:51 AM

Yes, but it will be placed into the Virtual AP VLAN.

• 7.  RE: Bridge ssid and server rule for different vlan

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 19, 2015 07:41 AM

@cjoseph wrote:

Yes, but it will be placed into the Virtual AP VLAN.

Colin, thanks for the link.  Seems the only way to achieve this is with a different ssid, which is what I was trying to avoid by using the vlan derivation by way of a server-rule.