Wireless Access

last person joined: 20 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Bridge won't pass traffic

This thread has been viewed 5 times
  • 1.  Bridge won't pass traffic

Posted May 01, 2012 03:04 PM

I have the APs setup and talking with one another but no traffic can pass.

Bridge mode selected.  Access mode selected.  Access VLAN selected properly.  Access VLAN exist/works on controller.

I have a switch on the remote end.  Mesh Point plugged into the switch.  Laptop plugged into switch also.  No DHCP for laptop.

Near end is Portal AP plugged into switch.  Switch plugs into routing / switch.  Controller plugs into routing switch also.  All of this is layer 2.

VLAN used for 'bridge' traffic works fine by itself (on regular network).  DHCP defintely works for the VLAN.

Portal and Mesh Point are talking just fine... nothing 'through" bridge though.

Any ideas?

• 2.  RE: Bridge won't pass traffic

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 01, 2012 08:11 PM

Is this a bridged WLAN or Wired network?

Are clients attached to the bridge?  Are the clients wired or wireless?  Who is not talking to whom?

• 3.  RE: Bridge won't pass traffic

Posted May 02, 2012 08:21 AM

It's a bridged wired network.  It's from a secondary building into the primary building (construction people accidently destroyed the fiber Friday).

Client devices are wired into the switch in the remote building.

Client devices in the remote building cannot get DHCP or any traffic through to the regular network.

One suggestion I've heard was to put the ports in tunnel mode so it tunnels back to the controller...??

What I'd like to accomplish:

Just like simple old fat APs: bridge wired client traffic from remote location to primary location. 

wired to WLAN - bridge - WLAN back to wired

I'm not sure if my wired configuration is the problem or if it doesn't matter.  I might be thinking fat AP bridging while the Aruba is doing something a bit different?

• 4.  RE: Bridge won't pass traffic

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 02, 2012 09:29 AM

Try tunnel mode first.

• 5.  RE: Bridge won't pass traffic

Posted May 03, 2012 12:37 PM

That was the solution: tunnel mode.

The user guide specifically states to change it to bridge mode.  Teaches me to read the directions!!