Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Broadcast-Filter ARP checkbox is missing

This thread has been viewed 29 times
  • 1.  Broadcast-Filter ARP checkbox is missing

Posted Apr 03, 2014 03:54 AM
      |   view attached

Hi,

My customer is using 7000 series controller with 6.3.1.3 code. I wanted to Drop broadcast/multicast in vap, when i clicked apply it asked me to enalbe Broadcast-Filter ARP, otherwise arp requests will be dropped. So I went to Configuration>Stateful Firewall>Global Settings.... i see the "broadcast-filter arp" option but the checkbox is missing, has anyone seen this before? all other checkbox in the same page are there. see attached.

Thank you.

• 2.  RE: Broadcast-Filter ARP checkbox is missing
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 03, 2014 04:13 AM

That warning refers to the setting in the vap.

It should be enabled by default, but the command is

broadcast-filter arp

• 3.  RE: Broadcast-Filter ARP checkbox is missing

Posted May 13, 2015 08:49 AM

Ive just seen this meesage after dropping bc and mc, but cant see any setting in the vap for bc filter arp!

• 4.  RE: Broadcast-Filter ARP checkbox is missing

Posted May 13, 2015 09:09 PM

He provided you with the CLI command to enable this feature.  In the GUI the bc filter arp configuration is named "Convert Broadcast ARP requests to unicast" and should be checked/enabled by default.  Let me know if this helps.

James

• 5.  RE: Broadcast-Filter ARP checkbox is missing

Posted May 14, 2015 03:36 AM

Did see that thanks... now if only the message actually said that, would save the confusion!

Think the CLI people and the GUI people need to meet each other, or at least have a chat with each other every now and again!

• 6.  RE: Broadcast-Filter ARP checkbox is missing

Posted Sep 11, 2015 04:06 PM

I found it confusing that it throws the warning even if the convert broadcast to unicast is already selected.

• 7.  RE: Broadcast-Filter ARP checkbox is missing

Posted Sep 11, 2015 04:31 PM

It's a warning that is given regardless of whether it is checked or not to remind you to ensure that you have a checkmark next to "convert broadcast to unicast".

James

• 8.  RE: Broadcast-Filter ARP checkbox is missing

Posted Sep 19, 2015 02:26 PM

that might be but if you see how often people ask questions about this it would be wise to consider more logic in the code to supress it or better feedback.

• 9.  RE: Broadcast-Filter ARP checkbox is missing

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 19, 2015 04:20 PM
    Couldn't agree more. If it is a requirement when you drop broadcast and mulitcast, why can't the code just automatically enable 'broadcast filter arp' and then grey the option out.

• 10.  RE: Broadcast-Filter ARP checkbox is missing

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 19, 2015 04:27 PM
    There are one or maybe two situations where you do not want broadcast filter arp enabled, so it cannot be tied to the broadcast filter button. In every other situation you want to enabled.

• 11.  RE: Broadcast-Filter ARP checkbox is missing

Posted Mar 16, 2018 09:59 AM

Can you provide the "breadcrumbs"  to locate this setting?  I am having trouble finding it in the GUI.  

• 12.  RE: Broadcast-Filter ARP checkbox is missing

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 16, 2018 10:21 AM

It is in the Virtual AP profile and it is enabled by default.

• 13.  RE: Broadcast-Filter ARP checkbox is missing

Posted Mar 16, 2018 10:27 AM
    Can it be changed? Again, I am very new to the Aruba GUI and Command line interface, so any detailed description of where it is specifically located in the Virtual AP profile would be very helpful.

Jason Simon
    Director of Information Technology
    Fort Scott Community College
    Office: 1-620-223-2700 x. 4080
    Cell: 1-620-215-1261
    jasons@fortscott.edu

• 14.  RE: Broadcast-Filter ARP checkbox is missing

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 16, 2018 10:48 AM

Honestly, there are only two circumstances where it should be changed:

- You want to connect wired clients behind a 3rd party wireless bridge

- You want to bridge VMWARE clients behind a wireless device running a VM.

In the Virtual AP profile it is the last option under broadcast/multicast.  Again, this is very, very rarely unchecked.

Screenshot 2018-03-16 at 09.47.35.png