Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Broadcast counter Keeps ticking on the uplink interface aruba 3600

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Broadcast counter Keeps ticking on the uplink interface aruba 3600

Posted Feb 21, 2013 02:28 AM

Hi,

We have a aruba 3600 model controller connected to switch on its port ge0/3.The port is configured as trunk and once i see the show interface ge0/3 the broadcast counter keeps increasing rapidly every time.Need suggestion to restrict the broadcast to dhcp and Arp.

Kindly suggest.

• 2.  RE: Broadcast counter Keeps ticking on the uplink interface aruba 3600

Posted Feb 21, 2013 03:45 AM

Hi,

Try to do this:

Go to Configuration> Wireless> AP Configuration. Edit your ap group. Expand Wireless Lan, expand Virtual AP and click on the virtual AP with your ssid. In the right Pane you should enable"Drop Broadcast and Multicast" and "Convert Broadcast ARP requests to unicast". Click on apply in the lower right corner.

When I enable these settings this message appears "Warning broadcast-filter arp should be enabled with this option. Otherwise ARP requests will be dropped".

it's more then recomended that to always turn on Drop Broadcast and Multicast, Convert Broadcast ARP requests to unicast and  broadcast-filter ARP to have a more realible network.

turn this on in all vaps + mark -> broadcast filter ip on the stateful firewall.

it should reduce the broadcast the clients are using over you Wi-Fi deployment.

Let us know if it solved your issue.

me.

• 3.  RE: Broadcast counter Keeps ticking on the uplink interface aruba 3600

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 21, 2013 05:06 AM

@rranjit4 wrote:

Hi,

We have a aruba 3600 model controller connected to switch on its port ge0/3.The port is configured as trunk and once i see the show interface ge0/3 the broadcast counter keeps increasing rapidly every time.Need suggestion to restrict the broadcast to dhcp and Arp.

Kindly suggest.

You should enable BC-MC (Broadcast Multicast Optimization) at the VLAN level.

Go to configuration> Network> IP and Edit the VLAN that you want to drop all broadcasts from.  Enable BC-MC Optimization at the VLAN level.  That will drop downstream broadcasts on the wireless towards your clients (the same as broadcast filter-all on the Virtual AP), but it will also drop outbound broadcasts on the wired side of that VLAN, as well.

bc-mc.png

• 4.  RE: Broadcast counter Keeps ticking on the uplink interface aruba 3600

Posted Feb 22, 2013 06:54 AM

Hi All,

I tried all the options ,still the broadcast counter keeps on increasing.

Every time when i hit the show inter gi 0/3 i can see the couter increasing on average by 4.

Is that normal ?

• 5.  RE: Broadcast counter Keeps ticking on the uplink interface aruba 3600

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 22, 2013 06:55 AM

An ARP and DHCP requests and other conversations regular are broadcasts, so yes you will not totally eliminate broadcasts on a link.