Wireless Access

last person joined: 10 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Bulk Clients Blacklist

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Bulk Clients Blacklist

Posted Jun 24, 2014 08:01 AM

Hi,

Can anyone please let me know if there is a comand (or via web UI) to blacklist and then un-blacklist clients in bulk? We have around 250 clients comming for a conference who need restricted access. Also, is it possible to set blacklist time for 12 hours?

Need quick response please.

Thanks.

• 2.  RE: Bulk Clients Blacklist

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 24, 2014 08:05 AM

The command to blacklist a client is below.  You need to do them one at a time.

(192.168.1.3) #stm add-blacklist-client ?
    <client-mac>            client to add to DoS list

The question is, why are you blacklisting clients in bulk?

• 3.  RE: Bulk Clients Blacklist

Posted Jun 24, 2014 08:21 AM

Thanks for the quick response.

Actually, the scenario is that in an upcomming conference, the manager do not want the attendees to use the internet during the session (for 10-12 hours) but the same attendees should be able to use internet services in their hotel rooms when they move in after attending the session. Remember, we have one-click captive portal based (open) SSID broadcasting all over in the hotel and all the users use this same very SSID to connect. 

Is there a way to achive the requirements if MAC based authentication is not appropriate?

Thanks.

• 4.  RE: Bulk Clients Blacklist

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 24, 2014 08:25 AM

If you are assuming that users should not use the internet in a specific location, make an ap-group of all the access points in that location, and remove the Virtual AP with the one-click service.  After the 12 hours, add the virtual AP back.

Unless you somehow can identify by mac address all of the users that you want to block, trying to manage a list of mac addresses might not be helpful.

• 5.  RE: Bulk Clients Blacklist

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 24, 2014 08:36 AM

<edit>

• 6.  RE: Bulk Clients Blacklist

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 24, 2014 08:47 AM

• 7.  RE: Bulk Clients Blacklist

Posted Jun 24, 2014 08:54 AM

cjoseph i had the same idea but the catch is that the manager and his few other cordinators would like to have internet access at the same place. Plus, we are also getting signals at that place from external Aruba APs placed at other nearest locations :( 

Any other suggestions please?

• 8.  RE: Bulk Clients Blacklist

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 24, 2014 08:57 AM

aruba.markus,

There is no other way to really do it.  Does the manager have a Virtual AP specifically for hotel operations, or is he using the same wifi that everyone else uses?

• 9.  RE: Bulk Clients Blacklist

Posted Jun 24, 2014 09:03 AM

The manager and his coordinators would be using the same SSID that everyone else does.

O.K. if we have to manually add the MACs for blacklisting, is there a limitations in the controller for number of MACs we can add for blacklisting? 

• 10.  RE: Bulk Clients Blacklist
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 24, 2014 09:13 AM

I don't think there is a limit, but how are you going to get everyone's mac addresses to blacklist them?  It is not practical.

If the hotel staff need internet, there should be a hidden SSID for hotel staff that they can use anywhere that nobody but hotel staff has the key for.  You would then remove the Virtual AP that is from the guest in the areas of the conference.  

I am not sure that there is a better way to do this.  Blocking by mac address when you manage all of the devices that you need to block is difficult enough.  It would be impossible with devices that you do not manage..

• 11.  RE: Bulk Clients Blacklist

Posted Jun 24, 2014 09:38 AM

Yes you are right. Agree with your opinion. I think we have be flexible enough to some extend if we want to achieve our goal.

Learned one more Aruba thingy from you today :)

Thanks cjoseph.

• 12.  RE: Bulk Clients Blacklist

Posted Feb 20, 2019 01:37 PM

I am using ARUBA 7010 , version is 8.2.2.3 although ı did the blacklist time 0, I could not do it limitless blacklist. Can it be related with version?