Wireless Access

last person joined: 17 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

CAP as Mesh Portal + Client Access

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  CAP as Mesh Portal + Client Access

Posted Apr 10, 2020 08:33 PM

I have 3 APs provisioned as CAPs. I have them in an AP group that also has a Mesh cluster configured. I plan on configuring a 4th AP as a Mesh Point.

Questions:

1. Will the Mesh Point connect to a CAP?
    2. Do I have to provision one of the CAPs as a Mesh Portal.
    3. If yes to #2, will the A radio be dedicated to the Mesh? Or, will it also serve clients.

I'm hoping that the A radio can be dual-purposed as with some other vendors.

• 2.  RE: CAP as Mesh Portal + Client Access
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 10, 2020 08:46 PM

1.  Not unless you provisioned that CAP as a mesh portal or point.

2. Yes.

3. By default the a-radio does mesh, but it will also serve clients.

• 3.  RE: CAP as Mesh Portal + Client Access

Posted Apr 10, 2020 08:49 PM

Thanks!

• 4.  RE: CAP as Mesh Portal + Client Access

Posted Apr 10, 2020 10:22 PM

Follow-up. 

I'm not trying to bridge the ethernet interface on the remote side. I just need wireless access.

Right now, my client just refuses to connect. Any ideas on that? It's not that it will connect and not let traffic flow. . . it just won't connect.

Also, when the mesh link is established. . does the traffic from the mesh link travel across eth0 on the 'local' side? I'm assuming, yes, but I wanted to make sure because I have eth1 configured for some wired clients.

• 5.  RE: CAP as Mesh Portal + Client Access

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 10, 2020 10:40 PM

I would enable debugging for the client mac address to figure out what could be going on.

Make sure the client is able to see the access point on the channel that it is on.

The traffic does pass over eth0 and is tunneled back to the controller over GRE.