Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

CAP vs RAP licences limitations.

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  CAP vs RAP licences limitations.

Posted Oct 17, 2012 03:18 PM

Hi everyone,

Here is our situation: We are currently testing the Aruba system for our company. We are planning to need near 200 AP. We have like 20 to 23 offices in an MPLS network. Some smaller and some bigger one.

We are planning to have 2 x 3400 controllers. They will each be install in an major separate office. The master will act has a Local too (with AP on him). I know that this is not best practice but we think that it will be ok.

So here is my thought about it : Normally, we would use Campus AP because we are on our secure network. But due to limited licences (64 CAP), we will need to add RAP.

So for offices 1 and 2 who have Master and Local controller, I’ll use CAP. We are talking about 15-20 AP for both. For other AP, I'll use RAP. I want to split the charge between the 2 controllers. Like 10 CAP and 90 RAP each. I know that for RAP, they have increased support on 3400 (256 RAP) because we expect an RAP to use less resource (split-tunnel or Bridge). And it' exactly what we want to do.

For all the AP, we will provide 2 SSID. One public and the other for the enterprise network. Almost each office have their Public network directly at the office. And of course the enterprise network too. So we will use basically only Bridge mode. So less resources needed on the controller.

Is that all that I wrote seem feasible? Any one see something that won't work? Or something wrong. Feel free to challenge me !

I'm already aware that we have no backup for the master. And like i said before, yes we plan to use the master for AP connection. And if one controller fails, all the AP wills failover the other one.

We already talked about adding 1 or 2 controllers if needed to spread the load. But only if it's really needed.

Thanks.

• 2.  RE: CAP vs RAP licences limitations.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 17, 2012 04:28 PM

guillaume.royer@cima.ca wrote:

Hi everyone,

Here is our situation: We are currently testing the Aruba system for our company. We are planning to need near 200 AP. We have like 20 to 23 offices in an MPLS network. Some smaller and some bigger one.

We are planning to have 2 x 3400 controllers. They will each be install in an major separate office. The master will act has a Local too (with AP on him). I know that this is not best practice but we think that it will be ok.

So here is my thought about it : Normally, we would use Campus AP because we are on our secure network. But due to limited licences (64 CAP), we will need to add RAP.

So for offices 1 and 2 who have Master and Local controller, I’ll use CAP. We are talking about 15-20 AP for both. For other AP, I'll use RAP. I want to split the charge between the 2 controllers. Like 10 CAP and 90 RAP each. I know that for RAP, they have increased support on 3400 (256 RAP) because we expect an RAP to use less resource (split-tunnel or Bridge). And it' exactly what we want to do.

For all the AP, we will provide 2 SSID. One public and the other for the enterprise network. Almost each office have their Public network directly at the office. And of course the enterprise network too. So we will use basically only Bridge mode. So less resources needed on the controller.

Is that all that I wrote seem feasible? Any one see something that won't work? Or something wrong. Feel free to challenge me !

I'm already aware that we have no backup for the master. And like i said before, yes we plan to use the master for AP connection. And if one controller fails, all the AP wills failover the other one.

We already talked about adding 1 or 2 controllers if needed to spread the load. But only if it's really needed.

Thanks.

Unfortunately, even though the CAPACITY of a 3400 is 256 RAPs, each RAP will need an AP license.  Also, if you have 64 CAPs on a 3400, there is no more CAPACITY for any RAPs.

• 3.  RE: CAP vs RAP licences limitations.

Posted Oct 18, 2012 09:07 AM

Sounds good for the RAP licences.

How it's working for the CAP capacity ? If we have 63 CAP, we can then configure 200+ RAP ?

• 4.  RE: CAP vs RAP licences limitations.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 21, 2012 01:17 AM

for 3400 if you have 63 CAPs then you can have a naximum of 4x RAPs (1:4) ratio

• 5.  RE: CAP vs RAP licences limitations.

Posted Oct 22, 2012 11:33 AM

And is that a limitation or only a recommanded number of AP ?

The system will block my if I want to add 65 CAP ? Or I'll be able to but not recommanded ?

• 6.  RE: CAP vs RAP licences limitations.

Posted Dec 18, 2013 03:25 AM

I have kind of same issue just need to know that after Aruba OS 6.3 (centralize licensing) CAP/ RAP limit for 3400 Series is how much ....as per present Mobility Matrix it is 64 CAP & 256 RAP.

Kindly help in the understanding.

Thanks & Regards,

Pushkar

• 7.  RE: CAP vs RAP licences limitations.

Posted Jan 02, 2014 09:48 AM

the whole 1:4 system has gone out of the windows since 6.2 (or 6.3 not sure). RAP = AP, the limit is the limit, afterwards it will just not work.

• 8.  RE: CAP vs RAP licences limitations.

Posted Aug 17, 2014 12:05 AM

Not sure this is the case... from my 3200 controller running 6.3.1.9, looks like i still have a 1cap:4rap ratio.

(3200) #show ap license-usage 

AP Licenses

-----------

Type                      Number

----                      ------

AP Licenses               128

RF Protect Licenses       123

PEF Licenses              128

Overall AP License Limit  123

AP Usage

--------

Type             Count

----             -----

Active CAPs      6

Standby CAPs     0

RAPs             0

Remote-node APs  0

Tunneled nodes   0

Total APs        6

Remaining AP Capacity

---------------------

Type  Number

----  ------

CAPs  26

RAPs  104

(3200) #show ver

Aruba Operating System Software.

ArubaOS (MODEL: Aruba3200-US), Version 6.3.1.9

Copyright (c) 2002-2014, Aruba Networks, Inc.

Compiled on 2014-07-15 at 12:04:41 PDT (build 44832) by p4build

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version CPBoot 1.1.4.0 (build 16250) 

Built: 2007-09-20 16:14:24

Built by: p4build@re_client_16250

Switch uptime is 9 days 8 hours 46 minutes 17 seconds

Reboot Cause: User reboot (Intent:cause:register 78:86:0)

Supervisor Card

Processor XLR 508 (revision B2) with 1187M bytes of memory. 

32K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.

512M bytes of Supervisor Card System flash (model=CF 512MB).

(3200) #

• 9.  RE: CAP vs RAP licences limitations.

Posted Aug 18, 2014 03:35 AM

interesting, my 650 doesnt show the same, it is the 1:1 like i expected. version 6.3.1.6.

does the GUI show the same james?

(Aruba650) #show ap license-usage

AP Licenses
    -----------
    Type                      Number
    ----                      ------
    AP Licenses               8
    RF Protect Licenses       8
    PEF Licenses              8
    Overall AP License Limit  8

AP Usage
    --------
    Type             Count
    ----             -----
    Active CAPs      0
    Standby CAPs     0
    RAPs             0
    Remote-node APs  0
    Tunneled nodes   0
    Total APs        0

Remaining AP Capacity
    ---------------------
    Type  Number
    ----  ------
    CAPs  8
    RAPs  8

anyone from Aruba that can comment on what james sees?