Wireless Access

Occasional Contributor I

CLI Command to get usage per WLAN?

Hi there,

I'm running a few 7210s on ArubaOS v6.5.4.3.

I'm inquiring to see if anyone knows a command to get the current total throughput for a WLAN through the CLI. This is also referred to as "Usage (bps)" when viewing in the GUI under Dashboard -> WLANs.  My goal is to pull this info off the controller and put it into a network dashboard tool I'm building.

I've searched through the command reference guide and also looked seemingly everywhere in the CLI.

I'm relatively new to Aruba but I would imagine that since the datapoint is available in the GUI, it must be accessible from the CLI as well.  Is my assumption incorrect?  If so, would the API be my next best bet for getting this information?

Thanks!

Re: CLI Command to get usage per WLAN?

Occasional Contributor I

Hi Michael,

SNMP polling through snmp-walk may work - I can't believe I didn't think of that! I was so focused on building my tool using an ssh shell that I totally overlooked this possibility.  I will review the documents linked and see if I can find the appropriate OID for the data I'm seeking.

Highlighted

Great l let us know 

I'm relatively new to Aruba but I would imagine that since the datapoint is available in the GUI, it must be accessible from the CLI as well. Is my assumption incorrect?

Yes, this can be an incorrect assumption.The webui dashboards use their own mechanism for gathering stats/information - there is not always a corresponding CLI output.

That said, yes, use SNMP if you can - don't use snmpwalk however, it's more efficient (and less impact on the controller) to use specific snmpgets on the OIDs you want.

Occasional Contributor I

@jgoff wrote:

I'm relatively new to Aruba but I would imagine that since the datapoint is available in the GUI, it must be accessible from the CLI as well. Is my assumption incorrect?

Yes, this can be an incorrect assumption.The webui dashboards use their own mechanism for gathering stats/information - there is not always a corresponding CLI output.

That said, yes, use SNMP if you can - don't use snmpwalk however, it's more efficient (and less impact on the controller) to use specific snmpgets on the OIDs you want.

Thanks Jgoff - I will have to compare the difference in speed in my python program that captures and parses the output. 

I am looking into getting the mib file so I can find the specific OID (I have a valid support contract), but the downloads section of the Aruba support portal is currently serving a 404 error.

Edit: the 404 error was because I just created my account and linked my service contract. Aruba support had to manually permit access to the downloads.

Occasional Contributor I

So I've found the specific OID that I need to get the tx/rx rate per WLAN, but my next problem is that it doesn't appear possible to get the SSID via SNMP. All mentions of the SSID/ESSID  are "not-accessible" and when I query them with snmpwalk/get the controller responds with " No Such Object available on this agent at this OID".

Aruba SNMP MIB.PNG

I have scanned through the other MIBs for an available OID to get the ESSID string via SNMP and I can't seem to find it. I've also referenced the ArubaOS 6.x MIB guide.

I've found that I can get the SSIDs per AP, but with hundreds of APs this isn't really an efficient method.

Does anyone know the OID (or the MIB to look in) to get a list of all WLANs/SSIDs built on a 7210 (and their SNMP indexes?)

I've checked the following MIB files:

WLSX-WLAN-MIB, ARUBA-MIB, ARUBA-MGMT-MIB

essid is always per AP becuase each AP can easily have different VAPs assigned to it. There are no (global) per ESSID stats availble, you will have to sum the stats per AP

to the error your seeing, the MIB says "Note: Currently, this table doesn't return any data." - seems it's not in use.

-- wlsxSSIDConfigTable contains the global configuration of the SSID

wlsxSSIDConfigTable  OBJECT-TYPE
      SYNTAX       SEQUENCE OF WlanSSIDConfigEntry
      MAX-ACCESS   not-accessible
      STATUS       current
      DESCRIPTION
                "
                This Table lists the configuration of the SSID.
                Note: Currently, this table doesn't return any data.
                "
      ::= { wlsxSSIDConfigGroup 1}

wlsxSSIDConfigEntry OBJECT-TYPE
          SYNTAX       WlanSSIDConfigEntry
          MAX-ACCESS   not-accessible
      STATUS       current
      DESCRIPTION
             "AP Configuration Entry"
          INDEX {wlanAPMacAddress, wlanAPRadioNumber, wlanESSID, wlanESSIDIndex}
      ::= { wlsxSSIDConfigTable 1 }

what is it exactly that you're trying to accomplish, there may be alternate ways to do it that we can advise.

Occasional Contributor I

Thanks jgoff. What I'm working on is putting together a lightweight monitoring platform that contains wireless statistics.  I am querying the WLC to get total statistics for the network including all SSIDs that are built on the WLC, the number of current clients connected to each SSID, and the current bandwidth that's in use per SSID - not per AP.  I'm essentially looking to extract some of the data (either via CLI or SNMP) that can be seen on the Dashboard -> WLANs section of the Aruba WLC GUI.

I can get a list of all SSIDs and the number of currently connected clients to each one through the CLI with "show ap essid" - but I'm having trouble getting the througput. for each SSID. I could easily sum the total bandwidth for each SSID with the following OID (.1.3.6.1.4.1.14823.2.2.1.5.3.3.1.1) which is the wlanESSID Rx Rate, but in order to do that, I'd have to figure out what the SNMP indexes are for each SSID.  From what I've been able to find, the SNMP indexes are "not accessible" via SNMP.

If you are able to think of another way to get the data, that would be fantastic! Scripting it won't be a problem. Thanks for your help!

hi david0

sorry I'm maybe not quite getting what you mean by snmp indexes. The oid you mention has rx/tx/bytes per ssid by name, does that not give you what you need (rx/tx per ssid, not ap) ?

example

WLSX-WLAN-MIB::wlanESSIDRxPkts[STRING: ] = Counter32: 0
WLSX-WLAN-MIB::wlanESSIDRxPkts[STRING: ap215] = Counter32: 2484258
WLSX-WLAN-MIB::wlanESSIDRxPkts[STRING: v5-cp] = Counter32: 0
WLSX-WLAN-MIB::wlanESSIDRxPkts[STRING: ap215-v5] = Counter32: 0
WLSX-WLAN-MIB::wlanESSIDRxPkts[STRING: v1-7010-cp] = Counter32: 0
WLSX-WLAN-MIB::wlanESSIDRxPkts[STRING: v5-cp-eapsim] = Counter32: 0
WLSX-WLAN-MIB::wlanESSIDTxPkts[STRING: ] = Counter32: 0
WLSX-WLAN-MIB::wlanESSIDTxPkts[STRING: ap215] = Counter32: 4129925
WLSX-WLAN-MIB::wlanESSIDTxPkts[STRING: v5-cp] = Counter32: 0
WLSX-WLAN-MIB::wlanESSIDTxPkts[STRING: ap215-v5] = Counter32: 0
WLSX-WLAN-MIB::wlanESSIDTxPkts[STRING: v1-7010-cp] = Counter32: 0
WLSX-WLAN-MIB::wlanESSIDTxPkts[STRING: v5-cp-eapsim] = Counter32: 0

by the way, with respect to controller dashboards, if you use a browser inspector you will see that webui client sends a blob of xml that defines what it gets back, you could also write something that authenticates to the controller webui port and sends the same blob of xml.

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: