Wireless Access

last person joined: 23 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

CLI configuration of IAP 105s

This thread has been viewed 14 times
  • 1.  CLI configuration of IAP 105s

Posted Mar 31, 2014 10:43 AM

Hi - I'm trying to disable the LEDs on three IAP 105s located in a high school theater. I was able to do it for two of them via the CLI, but the third one doesn't want to co-operate. When I go into configuration mode it returns the message: 'WARNING: CLI is not supported on slave.' I didn't get this from the other two IAPs, neither of which is acting as a VC. All are running the same version of code, 6.2.1.0-3.3.0.2. 

Any insight on this would be appreciated. Thanks.

Jon Koelker

Oyster River School District

Durham, NH

• 2.  RE: CLI configuration of IAP 105s

Posted Mar 31, 2014 11:25 AM

IAP1(config) # led-off

• 3.  RE: CLI configuration of IAP 105s

Posted Mar 31, 2014 11:40 AM

Hi, Victor - that command worked perfectly on two of the three APs, but the third one gave me the message 'CLI not supported on slave.' For that reason, I don't think the command actually worked, although I haven't been over to that building to physically verify.

• 4.  RE: CLI configuration of IAP 105s

Posted Mar 31, 2014 12:22 PM

Are all of your IAPs part of the same cluster or are the two that the command worked on standalone?  I suspect that this command only works on the VC and not configurable on "member IAPs".   If configured on the VC it should push that command out to all other members in the cluster.

• 5.  RE: CLI configuration of IAP 105s

Posted Mar 31, 2014 12:32 PM

Hi, Marcus - yes, these three are all part of a single 'high school' cluster - none of them are the VC, so that's why it seems odd that two of them accepted the command and one didn't. Again, I haven't gone to the building yet to verify whether or not the command worked, but it appeared to work in two out three cases......I would not want to push this command out to all APs as I find the LEDs helpful for doing a quick spot-check of their health, but inside the theater, the requirement is that there be no lights visible - hence the attempt to disable the LED display only on these three units.

• 6.  RE: CLI configuration of IAP 105s

Posted Mar 31, 2014 12:50 PM

An IAP cluster has one VC.  The "Virtual Controller" behaves like an external controller appliance but it just runs within one of the IAPs.  By default, with the same model IAP, the VC is the one that booted first.  You can also set the "Preferred Master" if you wish.

A cluster has all IAPs in the same management subnet wo they can see each other.   If they are in different subnets then you have multiple clusters, hence, multiple VCs.  IAPs can also be configured in "Standalone Mode" even if they are in the same subnet then they can be managed individually.

• 7.  RE: CLI configuration of IAP 105s

Posted Mar 31, 2014 01:18 PM

Hi, again, Marcus - I just went to the building and confirmed that the command did not work - the LEDs still display. I've also re-checked what I did in the CLI and it appears that I must have overlooked the 'CLI not supported on slave' message on the the other two APs because I now receive that message from all three of them when I try to enter configuration mode.

So now the question becomes: is it even possible to selectively configure three APs out of the cluster of 79? I don't want to push it to all of them, just these three, but now I'm not sure if it can be done.

Thanks for your input.

jk

• 8.  RE: CLI configuration of IAP 105s

Posted Mar 31, 2014 01:25 PM

Our controller-based solution does support this with the "blink" syntax.  There is a "blink" option on the IAP but I cannot confirm that this can be run on the slave at the moment.   Give it a try on one of the slaves and let us know.  "ap-leds blink"

• 9.  RE: CLI configuration of IAP 105s

Posted Mar 31, 2014 02:37 PM

Hi, Marcus - doesn't appear that I can use that command on the slave APs because I can't enter configuration mode. Just to try it out, I located the AP that's acting as the VC - on this one I can enter config mode, but it doesn't recognize that command.

What I'm thinking I may do as a workaround is to determine when the theater is going to be in use and need to have the LEDs shut off, then push out the led-off command to all APs for just that period of time, then remove it.....

Thanks for your help.

jk

• 10.  RE: CLI configuration of IAP 105s

Posted Mar 31, 2014 02:41 PM

This would be a good feature request..............you should post this on the Ideas tab.

• 11.  RE: CLI configuration of IAP 105s

Posted Mar 31, 2014 02:50 PM