Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

CPU load at 100%, what is it?

This thread has been viewed 8 times
  • 1.  CPU load at 100%, what is it?

Posted Feb 21, 2012 05:19 PM

We recently changed our guest captive portal solution over to Amigopod, and since then our Aruba guest controllers (the one that still does the redirect over to Amigopod) is pegging CPU at 100% fairly often.  Is there any way to see what is causing the high CPU?  show processes only shows system processes, not user, AFAICT.

(XXXXX) #show cpuload

user 91.6%, system 8.4%, idle 0.0%

2400 Controller running 5.0.4.4

• 2.  RE: CPU load at 100%, what is it?

Posted Feb 21, 2012 05:39 PM

Are you doing HTTPS for authentication? Depending on the load, it could be the result of having to compute SSL in software.

• 3.  RE: CPU load at 100%, what is it?

Posted Feb 21, 2012 05:46 PM

SSL is used, yes.  It's a standard Aruba/Amigopod integration, so I wouldn't expect something like this to kill a controller.  Any idea how one can definitively tell what's causing this?

• 4.  RE: CPU load at 100%, what is it?

Posted Feb 21, 2012 05:50 PM

Now someone ask about this...

Is there is a way on Aruba controller to know what process is using all the CPU or memory?

At least you can do that on fortigates, you can run a diagnosis command to know what process is taking all the cpu and memory for easy troubleshooting....

• 5.  RE: CPU load at 100%, what is it?

Posted Feb 21, 2012 05:53 PM

You can run a "show processes sort-by cpu" command from the cli on an Aruba controller.

• 6.  RE: CPU load at 100%, what is it?

Posted Feb 21, 2012 05:56 PM

That only shows system processes, not user processes.

• 7.  RE: CPU load at 100%, what is it?

Posted Feb 21, 2012 06:07 PM

Im not sure about that. I can see The ArubaOS CRG states that the command "Displays a list of all process running on the controller".

How can you tell that its only showing system processes?

• 8.  RE: CPU load at 100%, what is it?

Posted Feb 21, 2012 10:20 PM

The description of the command in the CLI is that it shows system processes.  Also, the sum of the CPU utilization matches what show cpuload shows for the system % utilization.

• 9.  RE: CPU load at 100%, what is it?

Posted Feb 22, 2012 10:24 AM

"show cpuload current" == top command. I believe that is what you are looking for... 

• 10.  RE: CPU load at 100%, what is it?

Posted Feb 22, 2012 11:10 AM

Yes, show cpuload current is what I was looking for.  We have a case open and the tech ran that command.  Funny, I was just about to post that.

Turns out it is the httpd daemon that's killing the CPU.  Not sure what I'm supposed to do about it, there were no minimum requirements on the Aruba controller in the Amigopod docs.