Wireless Access

last person joined: 11 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Campus AP 105 Access point

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Campus AP 105 Access point

Posted Jun 05, 2012 05:55 AM

Hello all,

I was wondering if it is possible for an AP 105 in bridge mode, to be connected to a switchport that is in trunk mode and thus letting pass through two different VLAN's. Will the AP be able to recognize the two different VLAN's and will it be able to broadcast two different SSID's in this way?

Thanks and regards

Torenhof

• 2.  RE: Campus AP 105 Access point

Posted Jun 05, 2012 10:07 AM

Yes, that is possible.  Create the VAPs as you normally would (bridge mode with the correct VLAN specified).  Make sure you set the native VLAN in the AP system profile to the VLAN where you want the AP to get it's IP address.   Also, set the native VLAN on the switch port to that same VLAN.

Then, set the switch port to be a trunk and carry all the user VLANs you specified in the VAPs.

The AP will tag each packet from the SSIDs with the correct VLAN tag and forward it on.

• 3.  RE: Campus AP 105 Access point

Posted Jun 06, 2012 08:43 AM

OK I have tested this, but I changed the AP System Profile Native VLAN and all of a sudden, our 250 RAP's were no longer connected.

I have rebooted the Aruba Controller multiple times and no more then 50 RAP's came online.

After two hours, almost all of our RAP's came online automatically.

Is there a certain way of controlling when there is no communitcation or so between the RAP and the controller?

Is this a default value or so that we can adjust on the controller?

• 4.  RE: Campus AP 105 Access point

Posted Jun 06, 2012 08:59 AM

Your RAPs and Campus AP-105s share the same AP system profile?  While that is technically possible, I think it's a bad idea.  Clone (Save As) the AP system profle for one of them and rename it.  That way, you can make changes to the Campus APs without affecting the RAPs.

Did your bridge mode AP-105s work after the native VLAN change?

• 5.  RE: Campus AP 105 Access point

Posted Jun 06, 2012 09:20 AM

The campus access points didn't loose their connection.

Only some of the  RAP2WG's lost their connection. Well about 250 of them.

The fact is that I accidentaly changed this AP System Profile value and all groups took over this value.

So I was a bit surprised that this happened.

It seems that after a while connections are reset and the tunnels are rebuilt or something like that.

• 6.  RE: Campus AP 105 Access point

Posted Jun 12, 2012 05:56 AM

The campus AP-105 are able to broadcast their SSID's but that's the only thing that happens.

The AP gets an correct IP address from our infrastructure, but when clients try to connect to one of the networks that I have set up, not

a single client receives an IP address.

For A VAP being in Bridge mode, I suppose I don't need to attach a VLAN to that VAP?

• 7.  RE: Campus AP 105 Access point
    Best Answer

Posted Jun 12, 2012 09:17 AM

You need to specify the VLAN in the VAP and also make sure you have allowed DHCP in the role the clients are getting assigned.

• 8.  RE: Campus AP 105 Access point

Posted Jun 12, 2012 09:54 AM

I was able to set up the connections to the different VLANS on the switch using the settings you recommended.

Clients can connect to both the SSID's.

Thanks a lot for your time and answers