Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Campus AP fails to provision after change of controller running a latest code.

This thread has been viewed 6 times
  • 1.  Campus AP fails to provision after change of controller running a latest code.

Posted Apr 13, 2017 03:29 AM

Hi,

I have a campus ap-315, I provisioned it in my test setup on a 7010 controller running the latest code.

Later I was to move this AP to my production network to associate on an Aruba7240XM running 6.5.0.2 code.

I don't see the AP showing up on the controller. I connected the AP to the switch port which was already having an operational AP and still no luck.

What could be the possible reasons for running into this issues?

Local Intf: Gi1/0/47
    Chassis id: 703a.0ec1.b2ae
    Port id: 703a.0ec1.b2ae
    Port Description: bond0
    System Name - not advertised

System Description:
    ArubaOS (MODEL: 315), Version 6.5.0.2 (56901)

Time remaining: 35 seconds
    System Capabilities: B,W
    Enabled Capabilities - not advertised
    Management Addresses - not advertised
    Auto Negotiation - not supported
    Physical media capabilities - not advertised
    Media Attachment Unit type - not advertised
    Vlan ID: - not advertised

------------------------------------------------
    Local Intf: Gi1/0/48
    Chassis id: 703a.0ec1.b192
    Port id: 703a.0ec1.b192
    Port Description: bond0
    System Name: AP4

System Description:
    ArubaOS (MODEL: 315), Version 6.5.0.2 (56901)

Time remaining: 33 seconds
    System Capabilities: B,W
    Enabled Capabilities: W
    Management Addresses:
        IP: 172.25.42.17
    Auto Negotiation - supported, enabled
    Physical media capabilities:
        1000baseT(FD)
        100base-TX(FD)
        100base-TX(HD)
        10base-T(FD)
        10base-T(HD)
    Media Attachment Unit type: 16
    Vlan ID: - not advertised
    PoE+ Power-via-MDI TLV:
     Power Pair: Signal
     Power Class: Class 4
     Power Device Type: Type 2 PD
     Power Source: PSE
     Power Priority: unknown
     Power Requested: 20800 mW
     Power Allocated: 20800 mW

• 2.  RE: Campus AP fails to provision after change of controller running a latest code.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 13, 2017 03:36 AM

Hi Adnan,

do you have CPSEC enabled? Did you add the mac address to the whitelist? 

Can you see it in the whitelist DB waiting for approval?

Did you fix the aruba-master IP address on the test environment or was it learnt via DNS, DHCP or ADP? 

Regards

Borja

• 3.  RE: Campus AP fails to provision after change of controller running a latest code.

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Apr 13, 2017 04:08 AM

Hey, might also be worth considering the IP of the controller which the AP is connecting to after it has been provisioned. Is the lab controller and the production controller  both running the same IP?

If you can attach a console cable to the AP, you will be able to see if it is obtaining an IP address, able to locate the master and so on.

• 4.  RE: Campus AP fails to provision after change of controller running a latest code.

Posted Apr 13, 2017 04:12 AM

Hi Borja,

Thanks for the prompt response.

I have left the Aruba master controller discovery through DHCP option-43, is it the recommended way?

Now coming to the concern, I was trying to see the AP that needs to be provisioned on the controller on GUI : configuration -> ap installation -> provisioning and the newly added AP was not reflecting here.

However when I saw it in show ap database and the unprovisioned ap entries then it was reflected with flag U2G.

70:3a:0e:c1:b2:ae         CampusAPbehindCiscouWGB  315      192.25.22.11    Down                U2G    192.20.0.11  0.0.0.0

Not sure for looking an newly added AP by clicking the status(so as to reflect recently up AP the right way.

Thanks

Adnan

• 5.  RE: Campus AP fails to provision after change of controller running a latest code.
    Best Answer

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Apr 13, 2017 04:33 AM

Are you able to ping the AP from the production controller? The G flag you can see shows that you are missing the AP-group configuration  on the production controller as well. If you run the below command (where XXX is the IP of the AP) we will be able to see if the AP is attempting to communicate with the controller.

#show datapath session | include XXXX

• 6.  RE: Campus AP fails to provision after change of controller running a latest code.

Posted Apr 13, 2017 06:11 AM
      |   view attached

Hi Borja and Zalion,

Thanks for the prompt responses.

I have another query. If for a subnet, DHCP option 43 is not enabled and I want the AP to discover the controller, then can I do it while supplying the IP address of master controller while provisioning the AP.

My requirement is as such, there are few APs in my network the subnet of which does not have dhcp option 43 enabled.

So the plan is first provisino the AP by connecting them to the subnet on which dhcp option 43 is enabled. Once the AP registers with the controller, provision it as such that master controller IP address is add on the AP. The AP is then connected on the subnet on which dhcp option 43 is not enabled.

Will this help AP to discover the controller even without dhcp option 43.

• 7.  RE: Campus AP fails to provision after change of controller running a latest code.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 13, 2017 06:17 AM

Hi,

why you don't use dns? You will just need to add an entry on your dns for aruba-master pointing onto the master's IP address (or VRRP depending on your scenario).

Otherwise you can hard code the aruba master IP through the console cable on the AP.

apboot>setenv master IP Address   (This is the Controller's IP address where this AP initially points to)

apboot>save

apboot>boot

Regards

Borja

• 8.  RE: Campus AP fails to provision after change of controller running a latest code.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 13, 2017 06:25 AM

but yes, the way you are doing it, it will work too.