Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Campus APS on remote site Through RAPS

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Campus APS on remote site Through RAPS

Posted Nov 10, 2012 08:25 PM

Hello got another question here but now regarding this...

I have read a couple of times that this is not supported or not recommended because you will get in a situation in which you will have a GRE tunnel inside a GRE tunnel...

Now i was wondering what happen if on that AP instead of configuring it as in tunnel mode you configure it as on campus bridge mode? It wont create any GRE tunnel for that AP...

In fact you should be able to use central corporate switch as  the default gatways of those CAmpus APs on bridge mode that are going through tthe RAP in the remote side...

Is this scenario supported?

Just asking out of curiosity...

• 2.  RE: Campus APS on remote site Through RAPS

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 11, 2012 09:48 AM
    It is not supported because it does not work consistently.

• 3.  RE: Campus APS on remote site Through RAPS

Posted Nov 11, 2012 09:53 AM

What is recommended when you have a remote site and you get this scenario in which you want wired and wireless i mean all site to  communicate with the central site using aruba networks solution?

• 4.  RE: Campus APS on remote site Through RAPS

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 11, 2012 09:54 AM
    If you have more than one AP, you can put an instant cluster behind the Rap 5

• 5.  RE: Campus APS on remote site Through RAPS

Posted Nov 11, 2012 10:19 AM

If it a larger site andyou want to keep the features of the controller you will then deploy a local wireless controller

But then you will run in this situations

1-If im gong to the central site through a rap double ipsec encriptation(for the controller communication)

2-IF i dont use the rap and i provision it to the local controller  then ill go to the central site through L3 routing( but then many clients are going through IPSEC tunnels with firewalls... then what would be recommended in this situation?  still you will double encrypt(for at least the controllers information or it doestn matter as its just that?)

I ask you all this because i really like aruba solution and i think you are making it simple when deploying stuff to remote sites... and you even can get your vlans of your central site to the remote sites which is great....with Firealls its more complicated and more administrative effort, more configuration and more stuff to do... Now i was thinking in how you guys manage bigger remote sites of lot of users  in which i would like to have contrller features and also have my wired clients going through a rap maybe? but im not sure how many clients wired and wireless clients is recmmended to go through the rap...

I know im out of the topic here but if you want i can open another thread for this...

Thanks