Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Can AOS keep user/device after captive auth without the need to re-login for 1 week?

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Can AOS keep user/device after captive auth without the need to re-login for 1 week?

Posted Nov 09, 2015 09:04 AM

Hi Guys.

Can AOS keep user/device after captive auth without the need to re-login for 1 week? (With out CPPM using mac caching)

I found out the RUCKUS got a feature (on their controller) that called Grace period :

"there is an option called Grace period(Allow disconnected users a grace period after disconnection, during which clients will not need to re-authenticate).14400 minutes is the maximum."

Do Aruba got this feature emabbeded also on the AOS?

Waiting to hear from u..it's importent to me in order to push a sale.

Thanks.

Me

• 2.  RE: Can AOS keep user/device after captive auth without the need to re-login for 1 week?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 09, 2015 09:06 AM
    The captive portal profile has a separate idle timeout parameter. Not sure if it will work for a week.

• 3.  RE: Can AOS keep user/device after captive auth without the need to re-login for 1 week?

Posted Nov 09, 2015 09:08 AM
    It will not... 4 Hours is the max :( (As far as i aware)

• 4.  RE: Can AOS keep user/device after captive auth without the need to re-login for 1 week?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 09, 2015 09:11 AM

You would likely need Clearpass to have that long of a cached login period.

• 5.  RE: Can AOS keep user/device after captive auth without the need to re-login for 1 week?

Posted Nov 09, 2015 09:12 AM
    So u want to tell me Ruckus for this simple feature on their OS any we dont?! :( :(

• 6.  RE: Can AOS keep user/device after captive auth without the need to re-login for 1 week?

Posted Nov 09, 2015 10:00 AM

This seems to be a very poorely designed feature to my knowledge.

With out any L2 Auth, IP becomes the only identity of client and genrally DHCP lease will expire in 24 Hours. If the client gets a different IP address when it connects after say - 3 days, our assumption of CP only auth may not work, unless they have some more background configs like DHCP retaining the IP address for 2 weeks for a client. A lease period of 2 weeks looks unreaslistic.

So please check with your customer if its a real need or just someone asked them to ask & they are asking this.