Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Can Aruba Controller able to kick-off Wireless User at a scheduled time of the day?

This thread has been viewed 7 times
  • 1.  Can Aruba Controller able to kick-off Wireless User at a scheduled time of the day?

Posted Oct 17, 2013 10:56 PM

Hi,

I have an inquiry regarding on one of my client's requirement if Aruba can kick-off users at a specified time of the day whether its guest or internal users. For example, he wanted to kick-off all the users around 11:50pm daily. I don't know how to go around with this kind of requirement that is why if any of you have come across to this issue.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,

John

• 2.  RE: Can Aruba Controller able to kick-off Wireless User at a scheduled time of the day?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 18, 2013 04:00 AM

The Virtual AP has a "Deny Time Range" parameter that can function in that manner.

• 3.  RE: Can Aruba Controller able to kick-off Wireless User at a scheduled time of the day?

Posted Oct 18, 2013 04:16 AM

We tested regarding that manner but it won't work. The Deny Time Range will only deny clients to associate in the AP. It will not kick-out all the users associated in that SSID. The User Idle Timeout is set to maximum 255mins. Our deny time range is only about 5mins.

• 4.  RE: Can Aruba Controller able to kick-off Wireless User at a scheduled time of the day?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 18, 2013 04:19 AM

If that does not meet your requirements, the only solution then is to have a script login to the Aruba Controller and execute a "aaa user delete role <rolename>" at a specific time.

• 5.  RE: Can Aruba Controller able to kick-off Wireless User at a scheduled time of the day?

Posted Oct 18, 2013 04:27 AM

How to configure a script regarding that? Is it auto script or I need to logon to execute the script? Can give me a sample?

• 6.  RE: Can Aruba Controller able to kick-off Wireless User at a scheduled time of the day?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 18, 2013 05:01 AM

You need any program that can login to a device via SSH and run a command.  Kiwi Cat tools before 3.7 had a free version that would be perfect for this.

• 7.  RE: Can Aruba Controller able to kick-off Wireless User at a scheduled time of the day?

Posted Oct 18, 2013 05:21 AM

Yes. I have downloaded and tested already. It seems working. We just need it to install in one of the existing servers. One last question, our client wanted the idle timeout to be 0 but we cannot set it in the controller. The reason why we need to kickout all users to specified timing is because they want the idle timeout to 0. In the GUI, it will say that setting it to 0 means no idle timeout.

• 8.  RE: Can Aruba Controller able to kick-off Wireless User at a scheduled time of the day?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 18, 2013 05:23 AM

So, they need it so that users never need to login again?  What is the maximum amount of time their users will be connected?

You can use the user-idle-timeout feature in the Captive Portal profile in 6.3 so that users are not forced to reauthenticate:  http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS_63_Web_Help/Web_Help_Index.htm#ArubaFrameStyles/1CommandList/aaa_authentication_captive.htm

• 9.  RE: Can Aruba Controller able to kick-off Wireless User at a scheduled time of the day?

Posted Oct 18, 2013 05:39 AM

The reason why they wanted this requirement is that they wanted their users just to key in the credential once a day only so if we can set the idle timeout greater than 24 hours or infinite then we can use the script to kick the users out every 12am so that they will need to reauthenticate again the next day.

• 10.  RE: Can Aruba Controller able to kick-off Wireless User at a scheduled time of the day?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 18, 2013 05:42 AM

okay.  Look at my previous post.  You can modify the captive portal user-idle-timeout so that those users do not have to login for 4.5 hours if they are idle.  It might not be unreasonable to ask users to login once every 4.5 hours...

• 11.  RE: Can Aruba Controller able to kick-off Wireless User at a scheduled time of the day?

Posted Oct 20, 2013 11:04 PM

Hi,

I would like to ask when will be the ArubaOS 6.3 be release as we are looking into this version to address our client's requirement.

Thanks.

• 12.  RE: Can Aruba Controller able to kick-off Wireless User at a scheduled time of the day?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 20, 2013 11:05 PM
    What is the customer's requirement? It is already released.

• 13.  RE: Can Aruba Controller able to kick-off Wireless User at a scheduled time of the day?

Posted Oct 20, 2013 11:23 PM

My customer's requirement is to increase the user idle timeout as to around 16 hrs because they only need their users to login once per day and we will kickout all users every 12am using the Cat Tools script. That is what they want to achieve. I dont know if you encounter this kind of customer requirement.

• 14.  RE: Can Aruba Controller able to kick-off Wireless User at a scheduled time of the day?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 20, 2013 11:25 PM
    Using the user idle timeout under the Captive Portal Profile in 6.3 is the best way to do this. Yes.

• 15.  RE: Can Aruba Controller able to kick-off Wireless User at a scheduled time of the day?

Posted Oct 21, 2013 03:33 AM

Is there any concern if I upgrade to 6.3.1 from my current firmware which is 6.1.3.6?

• 16.  RE: Can Aruba Controller able to kick-off Wireless User at a scheduled time of the day?

Posted Oct 21, 2013 03:49 AM

I have trouble in downloading the ArubaOS 6.3.1. Is there any link that we can download directly. My client has trouble in registering their account in aruba support site.

• 17.  RE: Can Aruba Controller able to kick-off Wireless User at a scheduled time of the day?
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 21, 2013 05:45 AM
      |   view attached

There are considerations when upgrading from 6.1.3.6 to 6.3.1.0 and they are in the release notes (attached).

Unfortunately, the support site is the only way to get software.  If your client is having problems a TAC case should be opened to resolve it...

Attachment(s)

• 18.  RE: Can Aruba Controller able to kick-off Wireless User at a scheduled time of the day?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 20, 2013 11:06 PM
    6.3.1 is currently available. You can find it under Early Deployment.