Wireless Access

last person joined: 21 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Can Configure the Aruba Controller to associate 5Ghz to client's that can support 5GHz?

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Can Configure the Aruba Controller to associate 5Ghz to client's that can support 5GHz?

Posted Oct 22, 2013 05:14 AM

Hi,

Just want to know if there is such setting that can be able to achieve my client's requirement into which users will be associate to 5GHz in the AP instead of 2.4Ghz while there setting in there laptop is in MIXED
    MODE. There Laptop is capable with 2.4 and 5Ghz.

Below are the screenshot and configuration in WLC.

VAP Config - TEST
    Band Steering - Enabled
    Steering Mode - Prefer 5GHz

Laptop Setting: Mixed Mode

Observation: Can connect but still in the 2.4Ghz.

VAP Config - TEST
    Band Steering - Enabled
    Steering Mode - Force 5GHz

Laptop Setting: Mixed Mode

Observation: Can connect and its on 5GHz. But then I set my Laptop setting to 2.4Ghz, I will not be able to connect anymore.

Note: As per my understanding, 5GHz only advantage is interference. I can achieve the same speed on my Laptop until 300Mbps either connected to 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz. 2.4GHZ cover a wider range compared to 5Ghz
    and speed is not much difference since I will be able to achieve the same speed when connected to either 2.4 or 5Ghz. Anyone can share there thoughts regarding this one if there is such setting in Aruba that can do
    with this one?

• 2.  RE: Can Configure the Aruba Controller to associate 5Ghz to client's that can support 5GHz?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 22, 2013 07:11 AM

I thought the question was:  "Can Configure the Aruba Controller to associate 5Ghz to client's that can support 5GHz?".  The answer is, YES, you already configured it with "Force 5ghz" and "Band Steering"..

• 3.  RE: Can Configure the Aruba Controller to associate 5Ghz to client's that can support 5GHz?

Posted Oct 22, 2013 09:06 AM

I have configured in that way but the result of the testing is not the supposed to be function. I will encounter problem when I change my laptop to 2.4Ghz and not able to connect.

• 4.  RE: Can Configure the Aruba Controller to associate 5Ghz to client's that can support 5GHz?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 22, 2013 09:09 AM
    Sorry. I am not understanding. Do you want laptops to only connect on 5ghz?

• 5.  RE: Can Configure the Aruba Controller to associate 5Ghz to client's that can support 5GHz?

Posted Oct 22, 2013 09:30 AM

My client wanted the users to connect preferrably on 5Ghz if they are capable. But they can also connect to 2.4Ghz if they force their laptop to 2.4Ghz. My issue is when I put prefer 5Ghz or force 5Ghz with Band Steering enable, I will be having issue in connecting to 2.4Ghz when i try to change the laptop setting to 2.4Ghz.

• 6.  RE: Can Configure the Aruba Controller to associate 5Ghz to client's that can support 5GHz?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 22, 2013 09:44 AM

I think if you are using 'force 5GHz' and then change your laptop to 2.4 GHz mode, the controller may remember that the device is 5GHz capable and not letting it connect.

There may be a way to completely flush the user details from the controller and then you can test on 2.4 GHz, but I'm not sure exactly how to do that.  I have a feeling it will require more than a 'aaa user delete'.  There may also be a need to run a command to clean that user from the wms database, but someone else will need to advise on that.

• 7.  RE: Can Configure the Aruba Controller to associate 5Ghz to client's that can support 5GHz?

Posted Oct 22, 2013 10:05 AM

Thanks for the advice. If I put prefer 5Ghz and enable band steering, I should be connected to 5Ghz right? But somehow during my test its not functioning that way. Correct me if I am wrong, when band steering is disabled then the controller will just randomly select on which band you will be connected to right?

• 8.  RE: Can Configure the Aruba Controller to associate 5Ghz to client's that can support 5GHz?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 22, 2013 10:09 AM

@johnsermel.neri wrote:

Thanks for the advice. If I put prefer 5Ghz and enable band steering, I should be connected to 5Ghz right? But somehow during my test its not functioning that way. Correct me if I am wrong, when band steering is disabled then the controller will just randomly select on which band you will be connected to right?

Prefer tries to connect the client to 5ghz.  Force does not allow dual-band clients to connect to 2.4ghz.  Disabled, the controller will allow the client's algorithm to choose the band.  Correct.