Wireless Access

last person joined: 20 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Can I cluster different controllers models?

This thread has been viewed 9 times
  • 1.  Can I cluster different controllers models?

Posted Jan 19, 2015 12:57 PM

Hi,

I have two 7030 controllers and two 7210. I would like to see if I can have the 7030 to be Master-Backup master while having the 7210 to be local-local and get theri configs from the Masters(7030)?

the real question is: can I have the masters to be a model and the local to be a totaly differant model?

Thanks.

• 2.  RE: Can I cluster different controllers models?

Posted Jan 19, 2015 01:00 PM

Yes you can but it is recommended to use the 7210s as the master and the 7030s as the locals as they were designed to be branch office controllers.

• 3.  RE: Can I cluster different controllers models?

Posted Jan 19, 2015 01:03 PM

pmonardo,

thank you,

the 7030 are limited to 64 APs and if I grow over 200 APs which it seems that I will. then I will need the bigger controller, that's why we went with 7210 as Locals.

• 4.  RE: Can I cluster different controllers models?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 19, 2015 01:04 PM

The 7000 series are only support as local controllers in a master-local topology.

• 5.  RE: Can I cluster different controllers models?

Posted Jan 19, 2015 03:22 PM

Cappalli

The reason I asked is that my aruba se suggested that I use the 7030 controllers as my master, but now you are saying that they should be locals? I'm a bit confused now :(

• 6.  RE: Can I cluster different controllers models?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 19, 2015 03:26 PM
    7000 series are not supported as a master in a master-local environment.

If you want to use a 7210 as a local, you would need to use a 7210 or
    greater controller as a master.

• 7.  RE: Can I cluster different controllers models?

Posted Jan 19, 2015 03:30 PM

thanks cappalli

what I currently have is one Master-one Local. they are both a 7030 and they are working fine. I'm not sure what you mean by it is not supported as a master because I do have it as a master right now. The customer is growing and I want to get them a pair of 7210 and want to make sure how to reuse their current 7030.

• 8.  RE: Can I cluster different controllers models?
    Best Answer

Posted Jan 20, 2015 06:16 AM

Hi,

You can deploy 70XX controller as a master controller but it is not recommended due to it';s hardware limitations, these controllers are designed for branch office deployment.

A master controller should have rich of hardware to process ARM data received from all the AP across the deployment and Master also need to analyse the IDS data and take IPS decisions along with regular controller responsibilities, more importantly Master should have high availability with redundant power and enough cooling system.

72XX controllers are designed with enough hardware to handle and process massive ARM and IDS data and having Redundant power and sophisticated cooling system, therefore 72XX are highly recommended for Master role.

where as a Local controller is suppose to handle client traffic ( in tunnel mode) and it should map the policies along with AppRF for this we don't need very rich of hardware. 70XX are designed with less hardware such that they can handle client traffic and AppRF, therefore these are recommended for Local operation.

more importantly when master is configured as the backup LMS for all the APs, Master should have very high AP handling capacity, 72XX can handle >=512 APs and 70XX can handle <=64APs.

coming to the scalability at the BO, if you want to deploy more than 64 APs, deploy another 70XX controller or terminate some APs on 72XX ( Master).

Hope got some more clarity on this,

Please feel free for any further query on this.

• 9.  RE: Can I cluster different controllers models?

Posted Jan 20, 2015 12:21 PM

Puduchery,

Thank you very much for taking the time. This is exactly what I needed to know.