Wireless Access

last person joined: 21 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Can I configure AP's to be a repeater?

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Can I configure AP's to be a repeater?

Posted Jul 02, 2015 12:51 PM

My predecessor wanted to provide Wi-Fi in our grandstand area. The grandstands have been wired for several AP's but the connection to the grandstand itself is about 120 feet from the nearest network connection and trenching would be very costly so he thought of a directional wireless connection.

He purchased 2 AP-124 and 6 AP-ANT-12, I assume the plan was to have all 3 antennas connected to the AP-124 on each end and pointing at each other. One on the roof of a building and the other on the frame of the grandstand. This would enable the data to reach the switch in the grandstand and thus out to the individual AP's.

I have a couple of questions.

1) will 3 AP-ANT-12 antennas on each end connect to each other over a 120-140 foot unobstructed distance?

2) I thought the AP-124's are interior rated, wouldn't I need to get AP-175's instead?

3) the big question. We have a standard Aruba 3600 controller. All of my AP's operate as normal access points but these would have to be in some kind of network extender mode so they would talk to each other. Can these models do it somehow? how would I configure them like that?

Any help would be appreciated!

Mark

• 2.  RE: Can I configure AP's to be a repeater?
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 02, 2015 01:01 PM

1.  Yes.

2.  You can use the AP124s, but it will be exposed to whatever elements (lightning, moisture, extreme temperature) and you can avoid that by using the AP175 or 274/275 access points.

3.  Instructions for configuration of Secure Enterprise Mesh is here:  http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS_64x_WebHelp/Web_Help_Index.htm#ArubaFrameStyles/Mesh/Mesh.htm%3FTocPath%3DSecure%2520Enterprise%2520Mesh%7C_____0

4.  Outside mesh is an advanced topic.  You should read about it in our Outdoor Mimo/Mesh VRD, so you can sidestep avoidable issues:  http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Validated-Reference-Design/Outdoor-MIMO-Wireless-Networks/ta-p/155624