Wireless Access

last person joined: 13 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Can I freeze ARM in an instant cluster?

This thread has been viewed 63 times
  • 1.  Can I freeze ARM in an instant cluster?

Posted Sep 25, 2020 06:20 AM

Hi!

We´re doing post-install validation surveys and I was sure there was a way to "freeze" ARM in Instant so we can perform a full survey knowing that no channels or transmit powers changed. I can´t find a good way, I´ve checked CLI guide and searched the GUI but no luck.

Is there a neat command to achieve this?

Cheers,

• 2.  RE: Can I freeze ARM in an instant cluster?

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Sep 25, 2020 06:54 AM

You can just set the Min/Max TX to be the same along with a static channel.

**EDIT - This will help for your power levels, obviously don't set all APs to the same channel. I don't believe you can 'freeze' the APs like you can with Air Match

arm
     a-channels 36
     min-tx-power 18
     max-tx-power 18

• 3.  RE: Can I freeze ARM in an instant cluster?

Posted Sep 28, 2020 10:48 AM

Hi!

Thanks for your answer, I don´t see it as a solution to set static parameters. Even if it would help me with "knowing" the power levels it might´ve been the wrong power levels according to ARM. I´d like a way to validate what the system has adapted to in regards of RF.

Surely there must be a CLI command at the VC or something? If not this will be a feature request

Cheers,

• 4.  RE: Can I freeze ARM in an instant cluster?

Posted Sep 28, 2020 11:38 AM

I thought so too, but couldn't find anything. I searched the User Guide and the CLI reference guide yesterday, but had not luck finding an answer to your question.

• 5.  RE: Can I freeze ARM in an instant cluster?

Posted Jan 22, 2021 09:49 AM
    You can connect to each AP manually and set the channel and power with these commands:
    a-channel 132 18
    g-channel 1 12

You may even use some kind of script to make the work for you but I didn't find a CLI command to set the mode back to "Adaptive radio management assigned" when the survey finished. Only GUI.

You may also increase backoff-time:
    arm
    backoff-time 3600

Chances are you can finish a small survey before arm changes channel.

Hope developers read this thread.
    Guys, we need arm freeze!

------------------------------
    Leonid Tekanov

• 6.  RE: Can I freeze ARM in an instant cluster?

Posted Feb 03, 2021 01:51 PM
    As Leonid mentioned it's possible to assign channel and power settings via CLI on per AP basis. But it's also possible to revert back to ARM settings using CLI. Here I'll try to describe approach for emulating "arm freeze" given that you have some sort of network automation tools like netmiko.

1. Parse current radio settings for each AP assigned by ARM. For example try parsing the output of this command "show ap debug driver-config | inc Channel|EIRP".
    2. Then assign channel and power manually for each radio (2.4, 5) using previously obtained results. It's done with this command: "a-channel <channel> <power>" and "g-channel <channel> <power>". At this point ARM has no effect on radio settings. You can verify it with "show ap-env". You'll see new environment variables that weren't there previously.
    3. When the survey is done we need to revert APs back to obey ARM settings. It can be done with this command again on per AP basis: "a-channel cisco rules" and "g-channel cisco rules". Jokes aside,  you can pass ANY STRING you want in position where previously were channel and power e.g. "a-channel arm arm" and "g-channel arm arm".
    4. When you check "show ap-env" there won't be options you could find in step 2. If you check from GUI in Configuration - Access Points - Radio you'll see "Adaptive radio management assigned". So the mission of reverting back to ARM via CLI has been successfully completed.
    5. Wrap it all in a neat script.

Dmitry Litovchenko