Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Can I have access point to be AM and then became normal AP if another AP beside it fail?

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Can I have access point to be AM and then became normal AP if another AP beside it fail?

Posted Jan 06, 2015 09:33 AM

I want to add AP high availabity solution :

so I was thinkin to add AM access points and configure it to change to normal AP if another one beside it fail is this is applicable ?

• 2.  RE: Can I have access point to be AM and then became normal AP if another AP beside it fail?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 06, 2015 09:46 AM

You cannot configure that, no.  Many people use overlapping coverage as protection for an access point failing.

• 3.  RE: Can I have access point to be AM and then became normal AP if another AP beside it fail?

Posted Jan 06, 2015 10:00 AM

Hi,

Yes, as Collin said, as a good practice you have to deploy APs with 100% coverage overlap for the redundancy.

Your scenario may be possible if you keep APs close to eachother and enable ARM, ARM detects co-channel interferance and converts one of the AP in to AM and if other AP fails, AM will be turn back to AP.

This can not be done mannually :)

Hope got some more clarity.

• 4.  RE: Can I have access point to be AM and then became normal AP if another AP beside it fail?

Posted Jan 06, 2015 10:21 AM

Dear Dharnji, thats waht I want to know so you confirming that ARM will convert the AP to AM-Mode and if access point beside it fail the AM-Mode will Change to AP-Mode ??

Am I right?

• 5.  RE: Can I have access point to be AM and then became normal AP if another AP beside it fail?
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 06, 2015 10:31 AM

WHY,

ARM will only do that if you have ARM Mode aware configured.  It is not really intuitive and it can create coverage holes.  It also could take quite awhile to convert from an AM to an Access Point when an access point fails, so it should not be used for redundancy.  Long story short, you should just have overlapping coverage, and NOT use ARM Mode Aware.