Wireless Access

last person joined: 16 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Can I schedule channel optimization?

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Can I schedule channel optimization?

Posted Nov 03, 2015 11:36 AM

Hello,

I have about a dozen 225's and I'd prefer that the APs don't try to modify their channels during the hours of 7AM to 9PM when the bulk of our employees are using the system.  We do have a small crew after hours but I can live with some fluctuation during that time.

The reason I ask is I'm told people could potentially have issues when a channel jump occurs.    I certainly want my wireless network optimized but not at the cost of customers being upset about interrupted wireless connectivity.

#AP225

• 2.  RE: Can I schedule channel optimization?
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 03, 2015 11:43 AM

If you have client aware on, it will not change channels while clients are connected.  Client aware is on by default:

iap-client-aware.png

Quite frankly, unless your client is using a very delay-sensitive application like voice, there is typically very little indication on the client side that an access point has changed channel.  It pretty much looks like a roam.

• 3.  RE: Can I schedule channel optimization?

Posted Nov 03, 2015 11:52 AM

Thanks - we are using voice.   The issue with client aware is that we always have people on site using wifi so if there was a way of scheduling optimzation duing off hours when we have a minimal crew it would be great.

• 4.  RE: Can I schedule channel optimization?
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 03, 2015 11:58 AM

Client aware detects when there is little activity, so it should be active overnight, even when they are devices connected.  There is not a way to schedule this; and you probably want ARM to work during the day, when there ARE changes in your RF, instead of at night, when the RF is probably different.