Wireless Access

last person joined: 21 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Can I use access point in bridge mode without a controller ,Kindly Clarify it for me?

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Can I use access point in bridge mode without a controller ,Kindly Clarify it for me?

Posted Jun 08, 2014 09:51 AM

Dears,help me to understand how can I make access point work with controller and without controlelr?

• 2.  RE: Can I use access point in bridge mode without a controller ,Kindly Clarify it for me?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 08, 2014 10:44 AM

That would depend on the model of Access Point you are using. Do you have a specific model in mind? Would also help of you are trying to do one or the other (controller and controller-less) full time, ior if you are trying to go from one to the other (ala Remote AP, etc).

• 3.  RE: Can I use access point in bridge mode without a controller ,Kindly Clarify it for me?

Posted Jun 08, 2014 11:11 AM

l be use AP as Campus access point AP115

• 4.  RE: Can I use access point in bridge mode without a controller ,Kindly Clarify it for me?
    Best Answer

Posted Jun 08, 2014 11:49 AM
    The AP 115 is a controller based access point only. Essentially it has 2 operating modes that serve clients - Campus AP, and Remote AP. Campus APs build GRE tunnels to the controller and are typically used within your LAN. Remote APs build IPSec tunnels to the controller and do everything else within the confines of that. This is typically used outside your LAN when the connection is insecure (typically from the Internet).

If you wanted to get a controllerless ap you would need the instant version, in this case the IAP-115. The instant versions can operate in 3 modes that serve clients - Instant, Campus, and Remote. The additional one, instant, allows one access point to act as the virtual controller and keep a unified config for all access points in the cluster (one cluster per vlan). The access point can also be converted into the other 2 modes discussed above.

A campus access point (AP-x) can never be converted to instant, but an instant access point (IAP-x) can always be converted between all 3 modes.