Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Can't ping Aruba AP

This thread has been viewed 23 times
  • 1.  Can't ping Aruba AP

Posted Feb 03, 2014 05:44 AM

Hi all,

I have a network with 2 VLANs: VLAN1 for management and VLAN150 for wireless. I have 1 Aruba3200 and 22 APs; the ArubaOS version is 6.2.1.5. My controller have an IP address on VLAN1 and another on VLAN150 and my APs have an IP address only on the VLAN150; I have a PC on the VLAN1 and vlan routing is enabled in the network.

The issue is this: when I turn on my AP I can ping it until it is not present on the AP database. When the AP appears on the AP database I can't ping it more. Why???

But if I enable Inter-VLAN Routing on VLAN 150 in my  Aruba Controller, I can ping the AP again. I have also some HP AP in the network, always on VLAN150 and I can ping them without problems.

Is it normal this Aruba behavior?

Thanks,

Massimo

• 2.  RE: Can't ping Aruba AP

Posted Feb 03, 2014 07:44 AM

From are you pinging the AP ?  Wired , Wireless ?

Do you have any ACLs that might be blocking the ICMP traffic ? 

Do a show datapath session table <ap ip address> in combination with show acl hits ?

• 3.  RE: Can't ping Aruba AP

Posted Feb 03, 2014 08:06 AM

I am pinging from wired network and I don't have none particular ACL that can block the ICMP traffic; I don't added none ACL for the APs.

Today I'm not by the costumer, but I have to return soon so I could try the command that you suggest.

Any other suggestions?

• 4.  RE: Can't ping Aruba AP

Posted Feb 25, 2014 03:16 PM

yep normal behaviour, once the tunnel is setup the traffic goes back via the tunnel and you will probably not get it back correctly.

there are some earlier threads about this.

• 5.  RE: Can't ping Aruba AP

Posted May 12, 2014 09:07 AM

Ok, but if the customer want to ping APs to periodically control it? what can I do to permit the ping?

And is this a desired behaviour from Aruba or an erroneous behaviour?

• 6.  RE: Can't ping Aruba AP
    Best Answer

Posted May 12, 2014 09:39 AM

from what i have been told it is excepted, correct, behaviour.

support once told me (and it has been repeated here) that pinging an AP isnt the way to determine if it is up.

you should check the controller, either directly or via SNMP, that is the most correct way.

if you really want to work with ping you could check if the traffic indeed exits at the controller. it is not that it is blocked by the AP, it just travels via another route back.

• 7.  RE: Can't ping Aruba AP

Posted May 12, 2014 11:32 AM

Ok, thanks for the reply boneyard!

Another question: to check the status of one AP via SNMP from a server, do I need to directly connect the Controller to my server via SNMP?

Or can I configure the SNMP parameters only on the specified AP? Where?

When I connect the controller via SNMP to my server do the APs automatically get up on my server?

Thanks,

Massimo