Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Can we made Aruba AP-275 and AP-277 work like WIFI extenders ?

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Can we made Aruba AP-275 and AP-277 work like WIFI extenders ?

Posted Aug 18, 2016 11:39 AM

I have a customer who want to have almost all acces points to work without ethernet he want the Uplink to through WIFi ,but I have more than 100 APs I know that we can use mesh but can I make for example 1 AP as mesh portal adn 10 Ap as mesh point ? and also can I use AP-275 for this and from my prespective I can see that this will have cons. so I need the advise what to do ?

• 2.  RE: Can we made Aruba AP-275 and AP-277 work like WIFI extenders ?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 18, 2016 12:00 PM

If you are doing controller-based deployments, you can put 10 mesh points on a portal (just understand the bandwidth 'costs' and design limitations. If you are using instant, you are more limited (2 hops and up to 8 mesh points).

None of Aruba's 11ac Instant APs can act as 'WiFi Extenders'. You can look at the HP 501 to fill that need if that works for you. 

• 3.  RE: Can we made Aruba AP-275 and AP-277 work like WIFI extenders ?

Posted Aug 19, 2016 07:47 PM

I need to know should all APs need a clear line of sight? and lets say teh portal fail thats mean the other 10 mehs ponts will fail right?

• 4.  RE: Can we made Aruba AP-275 and AP-277 work like WIFI extenders ?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 19, 2016 11:08 PM

Generally yes all APs should have line of sight to other APs. 

yes if you only have a single portal and the portal goes down, all mesh points will be down. If you need high availability for your mesh, you should have multiple portals for the same cluster(s).