Wireless Access

last person joined: 16 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Can we use Aruba 7005 as local controller ?

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Can we use Aruba 7005 as local controller ?

Posted Oct 28, 2014 07:39 PM

• 2.  RE: Can we use Aruba 7005 as local controller ?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 28, 2014 07:40 PM

Yes. They should ONLY be used as locals or independent masters (single controller). 70x0 should never be used as a master supporting other locals.

They were designed to be branch office controllers.

• 3.  RE: Can we use Aruba 7005 as local controller ?

Posted Oct 29, 2014 08:31 PM

Hello Tim

I know that they are designed as a branch controller, but is there a documentation from aruba stating this? in which it should not be used as a master controller supporting other local ones?

Cheers

Carlos

• 4.  RE: Can we use Aruba 7005 as local controller ?

Posted Oct 29, 2014 08:34 PM
    So it can act as local controller ?

Regards,

Irfan Ahmed
    Revlon Information Management.
    Tel.+61 2 88759860
    Mob. +61410045749

This email message may contain confidential, proprietary and/or privileged information. It is intended only for the use of the intended recipient(s). If you have received it in error, please immediately advise the sender by reply email and then delete this email message. Any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the information contained in this email message to or by anyone other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited. Thank you.

• 5.  RE: Can we use Aruba 7005 as local controller ?

Posted Oct 29, 2014 08:35 PM

Yes, Tim already answered you that question!

Cheers

Carlos

• 6.  RE: Can we use Aruba 7005 as local controller ?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 29, 2014 08:35 PM

It is a cloud services branch controller. They were not designed or tested to handle master functionality such as WMS for local controllers.

They can be used independently in all master environments or as a local controller.

There is no documentation. It is implied by the name.

If you need more information, contact your account team.

• 7.  RE: Can we use Aruba 7005 as local controller ?

Posted Oct 29, 2014 08:36 PM

I do bealive you Tim but its implied by the name? i dont htink i can give that kind of asnwer to the client? :)  i would prefer a documentation i guess...

But well anyways  i wont recommend it as you stated.

Cheers

Carlos

• 8.  RE: Can we use Aruba 7005 as local controller ?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 29, 2014 08:39 PM
    Contact your Aruba account/channel team if you need more info.

• 9.  RE: Can we use Aruba 7005 as local controller ?

Posted Oct 29, 2014 08:43 PM

Yeah my SE told me about that, but then he said the same no documentation sigh.   But he told me that  he was told that.   It was really early when the 7000 were just out.   I havent ask him agiain if he has documentation about that.  Ill ask agian 

Cheers

Carlos

• 10.  RE: Can we use Aruba 7005 as local controller ?

Posted Oct 29, 2014 08:46 PM
    Thanks for help. I really appreciate if you find any document. We urgently need to buy a controller for our branch office that will serve as local controller.

Regards,

Irfan Ahmed
    Revlon Information Management.
    Tel.+61 2 88759860
    Mob. +61410045749

This email message may contain confidential, proprietary and/or privileged information. It is intended only for the use of the intended recipient(s). If you have received it in error, please immediately advise the sender by reply email and then delete this email message. Any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the information contained in this email message to or by anyone other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited. Thank you.

• 11.  RE: Can we use Aruba 7005 as local controller ?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 29, 2014 08:46 PM

The document wouldn't apply to you since you are using it as a local.

• 12.  RE: Can we use Aruba 7005 as local controller ?

Posted Apr 03, 2015 10:50 AM

Hello all. would like to bring some life back to this thread.

I too was told by our SE that the 7005 (specifically) has some limitations and cannot be a master with local controllers.

My question is if this is actually prohibited? Or if it is just not supported. I'm looking for controllers to practice on for my exams. My thoughs were to purchase (2) 7005's and place them in a master/local set-up.

So, since I do not have the answer to this, I purchased (1) and will test with a 3200 that I have as well. I will test with the 3200 as a master...then with the 7005 as the master.

(2) 7005's would be an ideal setup for me because of their small form factor.

If anyone has the answer if it is possible, that would be great. Otherwise, I will update when it arrives (the controller and the memory upgrade for the 3200).

Cheers!

• 13.  RE: Can we use Aruba 7005 as local controller ?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 03, 2015 10:52 AM
    It should not be used in a production environment as a master for other controllers. There is nothing that physically stops it but it is not a supported configuration.

Thanks,
    Tim

• 14.  RE: Can we use Aruba 7005 as local controller ?

Posted Apr 03, 2015 10:56 AM

Perfect!...thanks Tim.

It will be just for lab purposes.

Thanks again.

-Herman

• 15.  RE: Can we use Aruba 7005 as local controller ?

Posted Apr 03, 2015 10:56 AM

Hello Mr Capalli

As far i undertand this apply to 7010 and 7030 as well...

And if i want a controller that can be used as master im forced to go for 7205 which  support 256 aps? i feel this is crazy.. you are forced to use instants.   And some clients still want controllers

It is as i just write it Capalli?

Cheers

Carlos

• 16.  RE: Can we use Aruba 7005 as local controller ?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 03, 2015 11:09 AM
    Every scenario needs a design discussion. If you have two 7000 series in your network, that's fine. But if you have 5 7000s in your network, you should really have a 7200 master.

I don't think forced is the correct word. It's proper design based on hardware platforms.

Thanks,
    Tim

• 17.  RE: Can we use Aruba 7005 as local controller ?

Posted Apr 03, 2015 11:16 AM

Well if thats the case thast fine!

Is there is anywhere which state that, any documentation?

What i mean is that  if i got a company which has for example got 28 APS and got a 7010 and then they expanded so they would need more aps, let say they need 20 more aps, which is 48

You could just add another controller as local i mean another 7010.   I did undesrtood that it was possible to add it, but then support(TAC) would be like:  that scenario is not supported so i cannot give you support.

The supported scenario was instant or a 7205 as master and thats it.

Correct me if im wront please! it is really important to me to know this because companies in our countires are not like companies in the US that use 5000 APS or things like that... here are more like 30 APS 50 APS  and really big companies could be 1000 aps but normally  you will find companies running less than 100 APS.

Cheers

Carlos 

• 18.  RE: Can we use Aruba 7005 as local controller ?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 03, 2015 11:30 AM

Yes, in those scenarios with low AP counts, you will be fine. If there are ever any questions, please contact your Aruba rep.

• 19.  RE: Can we use Aruba 7005 as local controller ?

Posted Apr 03, 2015 11:37 AM

That is what i undesrtood to my aruba rep... thats why i was asking you... maybe yours told you something different :)  thats why i was asking...