Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Can you schedule an SSID to be hidden at certain times

This thread has been viewed 30 times
  • 1.  Can you schedule an SSID to be hidden at certain times

Posted Feb 06, 2014 06:34 AM

Hi,

We are running an Aruba 7210 with 6.3.1.1.

We have an SSID that is designed for guest access only during the day. However, unfortunately the password has been discovered by other users, and so they are using outside hours. This is bound to happen, and so changing the password is only going to be a temporary solution. I was wondering if the SSID could be taken out of the air overnight, to prevent them using it when their own internet access is restricted overnight?

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Stephen

• 2.  RE: Can you schedule an SSID to be hidden at certain times

Posted Feb 06, 2014 06:45 AM
    You use the kiwi tool to schedule certain actions on the controller please see thread :

http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Command-of-the-Day/COTD-Automating-Aruba-Controller-Tasks-with-Kiwi-CatTools/m-p/1365/highlight/true#M92

You could schedule the command to either disable or hide and then reenable it

• 3.  RE: Can you schedule an SSID to be hidden at certain times

Posted Feb 06, 2014 09:36 AM
    If that solution is not possible, you can use deny-time ranges (unfortuantely it won't hide the ssid) but it will prevent users from connecting to your network.

• 4.  RE: Can you schedule an SSID to be hidden at certain times

Posted Feb 06, 2014 09:49 AM

@pmonardo wrote:
    If that solution is not possible, you can use deny-time ranges (unfortuantely it won't hide the ssid) but it will prevent users from connecting to your network.

Hi,

Thanks - already had a look at that option, but as you pointed out the SSID is still visible. Not ideal but it might have to do. I take it that option would kick already connected users off the network as well as denying users trying to join?

Stephen

• 5.  RE: Can you schedule an SSID to be hidden at certain times

Posted Feb 06, 2014 09:56 AM
    I've experienced being kicked off.

As for users joining, sometimes I have seen where they will associate but wouldn't be able to browse or not associate at all..

• 6.  RE: Can you schedule an SSID to be hidden at certain times

Posted Feb 11, 2014 02:29 PM

@pmonardo wrote:

Any links to this? I'm also interested in this. Thanks!!

• 7.  RE: Can you schedule an SSID to be hidden at certain times
    Best Answer

Posted Feb 11, 2014 02:45 PM

Not really any links but what you do is the following:

This is from AOS 6.3 but I don't think it has changed much.

1. create a time-range first like below under access control -> time ranges

time_range.PNG

Once you have created and given your time-range a name, you apply it to your desired virtual AP profile.

vap.PNG

That is basically it.

This is a DENY time-range, so you would have to configure your time range to be outside of business hours.

Page 247 opf the AOS guide goes through a scenario where you apply during work-hours time-ranges which are applied to an ACL instead of a Virtual AP.

If you want to read up on time-ranges, I invite you to visit the AOS users guide located here.

http://community.arubanetworks.com/aruba/attachments/aruba/unified-wired-wireless-access/27930/1/ArubaOS_6.3.xUG.pdf

page 247

• 8.  RE: Can you schedule an SSID to be hidden at certain times

Posted Feb 06, 2014 09:48 AM

@victorfabian wrote:
    You use the kiwi tool to schedule certain actions on the controller please see thread :

http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Command-of-the-Day/COTD-Automating-Aruba-Controller-Tasks-with-Kiwi-CatTools/m-p/1365/highlight/true#M92

You could schedule the command to either disable or hide and then reenable it

Hi,

Thanks for that suggestion, I had a quick look but it seems to be free only as a trial? Unfortunately not something I can spend any money on!

Stephen

• 9.  RE: Can you schedule an SSID to be hidden at certain times

Posted Feb 11, 2014 02:26 PM

You can try using this tutorial Running CLI commands remotely using Perl Jan14-Tutorial

and have it conf t and send a command similar to this and use a cronjob to toggle the "no vap-enable" "vap-enable"

wlan virtual-ap "VAP-Profile-Name"
      no vap-enable