Wireless Access

last person joined: 14 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Cannot add AP to controller

This thread has been viewed 21 times
  • 1.  Cannot add AP to controller

Posted Nov 13, 2019 06:06 AM

Hello,

I've read almost all posts with same issue as mine, but still i cant add all ap's to controllers.

My network topology is a hotel, with 2 Controllers 7220 (master-local), OS 6.5.1.4. In total i have 750 access point, different models (275,207,325,303h-rw). Ap's are conected to aruba sw 2930m, with poe, from edge sw to core sw HP-Switch-5406Rzl2, from core sw to controller.

I can see about 220 ap's from total 720. From what i can tell by the mac addresses, the ap's that i was able to add are from all over the hotel, that meaning that i should have seen all of them.

The AP's were installed as they came, no config on any AP. Should i connect on each ap and add some config?

I've started DHCP server on controller which is working, since other ap's have ip address. I have installed the licences as well (760 pcs).

Can someone assist me in this matter? Thank you.

• 2.  RE: Cannot add AP to controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 13, 2019 06:07 AM

What discovery method are you usimg for the access points?

• 3.  RE: Cannot add AP to controller

Posted Nov 13, 2019 06:10 AM

Hello and thank you, i believe i'm using ADP.

(Aruba-MC1) #show adp config

ADP Configuration
    -----------------
    key value
    --- -----
    discovery enable
    igmp-join enable
    igmp-vlan 0

• 4.  RE: Cannot add AP to controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 13, 2019 06:13 AM

If the access points can obtain an ip address via dhcp and are on the controller's layer-2 subnet and can reach the controller's ip address, they should be fine.  Type "show log system 50" to see if there is a problem with access points being accepted by the controller.  Also, type "show ap database" to see if access points have any flags.

• 5.  RE: Cannot add AP to controller

Posted Nov 13, 2019 06:18 AM

I cannot tell whats the problem, if you can take a look at the logs.

Attachment(s)

txt
    ap database.txt   31 KB 1 version
    txt
    log.txt   8 KB 1 version

• 6.  RE: Cannot add AP to controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 13, 2019 06:20 AM

Do you have a firewall  or a connectivity issue between your access points and controllers?  It seems like the access points are missing heartbeats and are not getting their configuration (D flag).

• 7.  RE: Cannot add AP to controller

Posted Nov 13, 2019 06:24 AM

I have not yet added the firewalls in the network. Through the same switches i have other vlans that are working fine (iptv, voip etc.) I do not have any losses between edge sw and core sw, so the network works fine.

• 8.  RE: Cannot add AP to controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 13, 2019 06:32 AM

The system log says that access points are missing heartbeats to the controller, so whether it be errors on the interfaces on the controller, you need to find out why.  I would open a TAC case in parallel to this post so that they can dig into this in detail.

• 9.  RE: Cannot add AP to controller

Posted Nov 13, 2019 06:36 AM

Will do that right now, can you please tell how do i see which option of discovery is being used? 

• 10.  RE: Cannot add AP to controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 13, 2019 06:43 AM

TAC should be able to dig that out of the tech support of your access points.  The access points are finding the controller, they are having connectivity issues after they do.

If this was working, think back to all the changes that were made  on the network or on the controller before it stopped working.  There could be a variety of reasons why you are having problems.

• 11.  RE: Cannot add AP to controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 13, 2019 06:48 AM

I would say, please go on the "master" and type "show audit-trail" to see what changes have been made and when to see if changes in the past might coincide with this behavior.

• 12.  RE: Cannot add AP to controller

Posted Nov 13, 2019 06:49 AM

I don't think they ever worked, they were only connected to switches and that's about it. From what i can tell, besides the ap-as that have connectivity issues, i can see on the controller all models except the AP303h-rw (which are around 500 pcs)...and it seems that HPE did not verified my identity, therefore i cannot open TAC case. 

• 13.  RE: Cannot add AP to controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 13, 2019 06:57 AM

Are the RW APs on the same subnet as the controller?  What is the regulatory domain of the controller? (show country)

How is this controller connected to the network?  Who configured the system?

• 14.  RE: Cannot add AP to controller

Posted Nov 13, 2019 07:05 AM

RW's ap are in the same network as the all ap's, but i've told you that they were only installed in the ceiling, with factory settings, nothing else.

I've configured a few things, such as dhcp server, control plane security plus the whole network inside the hotell (edge and core sw). Initial config was done by a colleague of mine, which now is on vacation.

Controller is connected with fiber on sfp port to core sw, where all edge sw come. 

I have no idea if this matters, the ap's are installed in Saudi Arabia, so:

(Aruba-MC1) #show country

Model:Aruba7220
    Hardware:Unrestricted

• 15.  RE: Cannot add AP to controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 13, 2019 08:13 AM

@FlorinD32 wrote:

RW's ap are in the same network as the all ap's, but i've told you that they were only installed in the ceiling, with factory settings, nothing else.

I've configured a few things, such as dhcp server, control plane security plus the whole network inside the hotell (edge and core sw). Initial config was done by a colleague of mine, which now is on vacation.

Controller is connected with fiber on sfp port to core sw, where all edge sw come. 

I have no idea if this matters, the ap's are installed in Saudi Arabia, so:

(Aruba-MC1) #show country

Model:Aruba7220
    Hardware:Unrestricted

I was asking about the regulatory domain, because if RW APs attempt to connect to a controller where the ap-group regualtory domain is US, it might not let them attach.

• 16.  RE: Cannot add AP to controller

Posted Nov 13, 2019 11:07 PM

Hmm, i don't know what to say about this, but i will change it also.

Thank you.

• 17.  RE: Cannot add AP to controller

Posted Nov 13, 2019 06:27 AM

Forgot to mention, i do not see any of the AP303h-rw model, but in the same switches i have other models that i can see. 

• 18.  RE: Cannot add AP to controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 13, 2019 07:00 AM

@FlorinD32 wrote:

Forgot to mention, i do not see any of the AP303h-rw model, but in the same switches i have other models that i can see. 

The minimum AOS for AP303H is 6.5.2.0 [link], apparently you're running 6.5.1.4 (which is quite ancient, but either way 303h will not come up).

• 19.  RE: Cannot add AP to controller

Posted Nov 13, 2019 07:06 AM

Thank you,

But if i update, do i lose all config?

• 20.  RE: Cannot add AP to controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 13, 2019 07:12 AM

You should not lose config in an upgrade, especially for 6.5.x to 6.5.x, that said, you *should* read the release notes of whatever version you upgrade to *and* follow the instructions about upgrade (e.g. make backups and extract them from the controller before doing the upgrade).

6.5.4.14 is the latest release in 6.5.x, it's quite a jump from your current version (2+ years) so as I mentioned above you should take all the normal upgrade precautions, starting with reading the release notes for known issues, caveats etc.

• 21.  RE: Cannot add AP to controller

Posted Nov 13, 2019 07:20 AM

Thank you, i will get back with news. 

• 22.  RE: Cannot add AP to controller

Posted Nov 13, 2019 11:45 PM

Good morning,

After reading carefully release notes and other peoples opinion, i've managed to upgrade as you said. Still  i cannont see any 303h-rw ap's.

Also, i've changed regulatory domain to KSA from US, since all ap's are in KSA. Also, in the wireless network setting (in my case - GuestAPGroup), section AP - changed Ethernet interface x - Wired AP enable - port as Trusted - forward mode Tunnel - Swithc port mode Access - vlan ID (my AP vlan  800). Any more ideas? 

Thank you.

• 23.  RE: Cannot add AP to controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 14, 2019 04:37 AM

We need the output of "show ap database" and "show log system 50" to see what could be wrong.

• 24.  RE: Cannot add AP to controller

Posted Nov 14, 2019 04:56 AM
      |   view attached

This was the last ap database, before i started update. 

Since it was not working, i decided to update to ArubaOS 8.5.0.4 and start from scratch. For now, i still have config to do, i will get back to you.

Attachment(s)

txt

• 25.  RE: Cannot add AP to controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 14, 2019 04:58 AM

We need the show ap database after the update and the "show log system 50" after the update.

• 26.  RE: Cannot add AP to controller

Posted Nov 14, 2019 05:05 AM

It was the same as these, with some ap's not having any more flags and some having. But it still did not work, i couldnt see any 303h-rw ap's, and i cannot find anything useful regarding this matter.

Attachment(s)

txt
    txt
    log.txt   8 KB 1 version

• 27.  RE: Cannot add AP to controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 14, 2019 05:15 AM

I just sent you a message.

• 28.  RE: Cannot add AP to controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 14, 2019 05:28 AM

@FlorinD32 wrote:

This was the last ap database, before i started update. 

Since it was not working, i decided to update to ArubaOS 8.5.0.4 and start from scratch. For now, i still have config to do, i will get back to you.

Wait!  Don't update to 8.5.0.4!  That will present many other challenges!  6.5.4.x would be fine, for now...

• 29.  RE: Cannot add AP to controller

Posted Nov 14, 2019 05:32 AM

Too late for that, i want now to boot from second partition, where i still have the old OS. This new one....is so much different, and i don t have to much time to waste. Now is booting up, i will command it to boot from second partition, and i get back to you.

• 30.  RE: Cannot add AP to controller
    Best Answer

Posted Jan 15, 2020 07:48 AM

This is to all that have been experienced this issue also.

I will start by saying that i couldnt have done it without cjoseph's help, so once againg thanks for all your help.

Be sure at first that the models of ap's that you own that are compatible with the OS on the controller, you will find that in the ap's datasheet, the controllers version you'll find by typing into the cli "show version".

I've had issues from the start with the config file that was provisioning the ap's, so i will jump to the part where i've identified the problem. The ap's got their config from the controller, but the ap's were looking for a tagged vlan, and not untagged. After i managed to change this, i was able to see almost half of them (total 760), then i've accessed them one by one and modified the config. In the end, i had to factory reset most of them and all this because of a bad config file, thats why i advice anyone who deals with these type of ap's to read the Aruba documentation before installing them. Best of luck.