Wireless Access

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor II

Cannot add AP to controller

Hello,

I've read almost all posts with same issue as mine, but still i cant add all ap's to controllers.

My network topology is a hotel, with 2 Controllers 7220 (master-local), OS 6.5.1.4. In total i have 750 access point, different models (275,207,325,303h-rw). Ap's are conected to aruba sw 2930m, with poe, from edge sw to core sw HP-Switch-5406Rzl2, from core sw to controller.

I can see about 220 ap's from total 720. From what i can tell by the mac addresses, the ap's that i was able to add are from all over the hotel, that meaning that i should have seen all of them.

The AP's were installed as they came, no config on any AP. Should i connect on each ap and add some config?

I've started DHCP server on controller which is working, since other ap's have ip address. I have installed the licences as well (760 pcs).

Can someone assist me in this matter? Thank you.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Cannot add AP to controller

This is to all that have been experienced this issue also.

I will start by saying that i couldnt have done it without cjoseph's help, so once againg thanks for all your help.

Be sure at first that the models of ap's that you own that are compatible with the OS on the controller, you will find that in the ap's datasheet, the controllers version you'll find by typing into the cli "show version".

I've had issues from the start with the config file that was provisioning the ap's, so i will jump to the part where i've identified the problem. The ap's got their config from the controller, but the ap's were looking for a tagged vlan, and not untagged. After i managed to change this, i was able to see almost half of them (total 760), then i've accessed them one by one and modified the config. In the end, i had to factory reset most of them and all this because of a bad config file, thats why i advice anyone who deals with these type of ap's to read the Aruba documentation before installing them. Best of luck.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Guru Elite

What discovery method are you usimg for the access points?

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.5 User Guide
InstantOS 8.5 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Remote Access Point Solution Guide
ArubaOS Consolidated Release Notes
ArubaOS 8 ViA VPN Solution Guide
Highlighted

Hello and thank you, i believe i'm using ADP.

(Aruba-MC1) #show adp config

ADP Configuration
-----------------
key value
--- -----
discovery enable
igmp-join enable
igmp-vlan 0

Highlighted
Guru Elite

If the access points can obtain an ip address via dhcp and are on the controller's layer-2 subnet and can reach the controller's ip address, they should be fine.  Type "show log system 50" to see if there is a problem with access points being accepted by the controller.  Also, type "show ap database" to see if access points have any flags.

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.5 User Guide
InstantOS 8.5 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos

I cannot tell whats the problem, if you can take a look at the logs.

Highlighted
Guru Elite

Do you have a firewall  or a connectivity issue between your access points and controllers?  It seems like the access points are missing heartbeats and are not getting their configuration (D flag).

ArubaOS 8.5 User Guide
InstantOS 8.5 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Highlighted

I have not yet added the firewalls in the network. Through the same switches i have other vlans that are working fine (iptv, voip etc.) I do not have any losses between edge sw and core sw, so the network works fine.

Highlighted

Forgot to mention, i do not see any of the AP303h-rw model, but in the same switches i have other models that i can see. 

Highlighted
Guru Elite

The system log says that access points are missing heartbeats to the controller, so whether it be errors on the interfaces on the controller, you need to find out why.  I would open a TAC case in parallel to this post so that they can dig into this in detail.

ArubaOS 8.5 User Guide
InstantOS 8.5 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Highlighted

Will do that right now, can you please tell how do i see which option of discovery is being used? 

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: