Wireless Access

last person joined: 11 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Cannot log into Aruba 308 after factory reset and wiped configs

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Cannot log into Aruba 308 after factory reset and wiped configs

Posted Mar 23, 2020 05:49 PM

Hi

I have an Aruba 325 I brought home from work to do some stand alone testing.  It had some previous configurations from work which were preventing me from broadcasting an SSID so when I accessed it via the web, under Maintenance -> Configuration, I did a Clear Configuration and then rebooted it.  I was accessing it via an ethernet link on my home network.

Now I can no longer SSH into the wap or access it via the web.  On the wired ssh side, when I try to ssh in it requests my creds and I use admin/admin but it comes back with Permission denied.  I also tried our default creds from work but that does not work either.

Any thoughts on this? 

thank you,

'mark

• 2.  RE: Cannot log into Aruba 308 after factory reset and wiped configs

MVP GURU
    Posted Mar 23, 2020 06:07 PM

308? Can you clarify what device this is? Have you tried the serial number as the password?

• 3.  RE: Cannot log into Aruba 308 after factory reset and wiped configs

Posted Mar 23, 2020 08:51 PM

Hi Dustin,

That model number was an error on my part.  I believe its a 325 instead (its sealed inside a special mounting box so cannot get at it to read the SN or model).  

thanks

'mark

• 4.  RE: Cannot log into Aruba 308 after factory reset and wiped configs

MVP GURU
    Posted Mar 23, 2020 11:53 PM

If it’s in IAP mode, depending on the software version, you will have admin/admin or admin/serial-number. If it somehow joined another IAP cluster ( can happen if there are other AP/APs on the same subnet ) then it will use the IAP cluster credentials.

• 5.  RE: Cannot log into Aruba 308 after factory reset and wiped configs

Posted Mar 24, 2020 03:52 AM

What is OS Version Your are running 

• 6.  RE: Cannot log into Aruba 308 after factory reset and wiped configs

Posted Mar 24, 2020 08:33 AM

'mark

• 7.  RE: Cannot log into Aruba 308 after factory reset and wiped configs

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 24, 2020 10:45 AM

Do you have other IAPs on your home network?

It may be helpful to have a console cable connected during AP boot to see what's happening. It's possible the AP was able to contact Activate and downloaded a provisioning profile that's doing something other than what you expect since it came from a work environment.

• 8.  RE: Cannot log into Aruba 308 after factory reset and wiped configs

Posted Mar 24, 2020 01:00 PM

Thanks Charlie,

I don't have any other Aruba AP's in my home but I do have 3 Google Mesh AP's.

I am thinking that  the unit is "bricked", only because the Sys LED would blink every now and then and once is a while would blink Red.  The Radio LED would come on intermittently.   The time it takes to bring up the login prompt (either via doing an ssh command or via a web http login) is much greater than before.  Sometimes 30 secs to a minute or more. 

i dropped it off with one of our support engineers at work today and picked up another one to use.  

thanks

Also I can easily ping the device but would get varying responses in the RTT time, like  varying 50-60 ms at times.  This was over the wired ethernet, and I have pinged these units before and never saw such variations.  This is just a large guess on my part that the host is so busy spinning that it can't respond.  (again a guess).

• 9.  RE: Cannot log into Aruba 308 after factory reset and wiped configs

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 24, 2020 01:26 PM

What you described is expected behavior. It sounds as thought the IAP is unable to obtain an IP address via DHCP, attempting to locate a mesh network it can connect to instead, and then reboots to attempt again. Console access would verify this behavior and shed light on specifics.

• 10.  RE: Cannot log into Aruba 308 after factory reset and wiped configs

Posted Mar 24, 2020 01:49 PM

<pls ignore this post>

• 11.  RE: Cannot log into Aruba 308 after factory reset and wiped configs

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 24, 2020 01:54 PM

Yes, the IAP-325 is part of the 320 family (including the 324 and 325), so that's the firmware architecture you're looking for.

• 12.  RE: Cannot log into Aruba 308 after factory reset and wiped configs

Posted Mar 24, 2020 04:23 PM

OK,  I did the FW upgrade to 8.6.0.2 and after a long while it said it could not contact the AP's.  Since all the LEDs were on (Sys and radio) I refreshed my browser to the AP and logged back in.  It looked ok but this was not the standard web interface which I have seen in the past (no nice frames around each window and the menu went down the left side of the screen instead of the top).   I was able to connect to the SSID and that works fine (can browse the internet and all) but still was not sure all was OK.  So i used the menu command to reboot the AP.  now for 10 mins+  the screen just says (spinning circle) "Access points are rebooting".

Once again all the proper LEDs are on, and I can log back onto the AP SSID with my iPhone.

is this typical behavior?

thanks

'mark

• 13.  RE: Cannot log into Aruba 308 after factory reset and wiped configs
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 24, 2020 06:05 PM
      |   view attached

Can you provide a screen shot of the new UI you are seeing? If you're upgrading from Instant 6.5 to 8.6, the UI will be noticeably different, so that does not surprise me.

If you refresh your browser window, it should give you an updated view (after the reboot). My overview screen for Instant 8.6.0.2 is attached for reference.

• 14.  RE: Cannot log into Aruba 308 after factory reset and wiped configs

Posted Mar 24, 2020 11:33 PM

If you have more than one AP. It will take more than 20 min to upgrade all APs in Cluster and rejoin to Master. New GUI user Friendly.