Wireless Access

last person joined: 20 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Cannot use more than THREE access points on 7005 Controller

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  Cannot use more than THREE access points on 7005 Controller

Posted May 23, 2018 01:47 PM

Hi everyone! Can someone help me before the last of my hair turns grey? Please?

We have a 7005 controller with three APN0205 access points. It was setup by a previous employee and everything works great.

We purchased three more of the same access points and purchased a Qty 3 Access Point license to get them up and running.

We plug them into the controller network and using the 7005's web interface they show up and can be provisioned. We use the exact same settings as the previously provisioned three access points. Basically default settings with the exception of a specific AP group.

If I try to add a new access point, once provisioned I reboot the controller and all four access points show up (the previous three with the additional new one). While all the original access points have a flag of "2" (Using IKE Version 2), any new access point I add has a flag of "2IL" (IKE V2, Inactive, Unlicensed). I CANNOT FIGURE OUT HOW TO GET THESE THINGS ACTIVE!

In total I have six licences for six access points, I should be able to connect six and just have them work. They simply will not work! Can anyone please help or provide some guidance?

THANK YOU!

• 2.  RE: Cannot use more than THREE access points on 7005 Controller

Posted May 23, 2018 05:19 PM

Can you post "show license" and "show AP license-usage"?

If your current license include RFP and PEF and you only purchase 3 AP license, it will not work. You need RFP and PEF as well.

• 3.  RE: Cannot use more than THREE access points on 7005 Controller

Posted May 24, 2018 05:54 AM
      |   view attached

Hi Trinh.

Will a screenshot be sufficient? For a number of reasons, I cannot conveniently get into a command line environment to run those commands.

This is the list of currently installed licenses though. I was not aware that additional licensing was required for these to become active. As you can see there are two Access Points licenses (total quantity 6), two PEF licenses (quantity FIVE), and only one PEFV (assuming quantity one?).

Can you tell me exactly what you think I need to get this working? Also, WHY this is needed? I appreciate the learning opportunity!

Thanks for the assistance!

aruba.jpg

• 4.  RE: Cannot use more than THREE access points on 7005 Controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 24, 2018 06:07 AM

If you have AP licenses,  PEF licenses and RF protect licenses installed, the total number of APs allowed would be the lesser of the 3.  In this circumstance you are limited by the 3 RFprotect licenses to 3 access points.  If you do not need RF protect, you can delete the license and then you would be limited to 5 AP by the PEF licenses.

• 5.  RE: Cannot use more than THREE access points on 7005 Controller

Posted May 24, 2018 06:40 AM

OK cjoseph.... I got what you're saying.

However, since we need the additional licenses installed for other functions that the 7005 performs, we basically need to up all the other licenses to a quantity of 6? 

That is, 6 AP licenses (which we have), 6 PEF licenses, 6 RF Protect, and 6 PEFV licenses?

Thank you for the clarification!

-Dave

• 6.  RE: Cannot use more than THREE access points on 7005 Controller

MVP EXPERT
    Posted May 24, 2018 06:47 AM

That is correct, the license limits for each license must be equal to the amount of AP's you wish to support. 

For example = 

6 PEF licenses, 6 RF Protect, and 6 PEFV  = 6 AP count.

3 PEF licenses, 6 RF Protect, and 6 PEFV  = 3 AP count.

• 7.  RE: Cannot use more than THREE access points on 7005 Controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 24, 2018 06:47 AM

Yes, except for PEFV.  The PEFV is a controller-based license and not an AP-based license, so it is not part of why you cannot bring that 4th access point up.

• 8.  RE: Cannot use more than THREE access points on 7005 Controller

Posted May 24, 2018 06:51 AM

OH, yes sorry - I didn't mean to include that. That is for our VPN functionality and is uneeded for this.

OK. So I will go ahead and order additional licensing.

Thanks so much for the help and hopefully that solves the problem.

I'll report back if not!

:-)