Wireless Access

last person joined: 21 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Captive Guest Portal stopped displaying

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Captive Guest Portal stopped displaying

Posted Dec 02, 2011 10:57 AM

Any idea why the captive portal for our guest network would stop displaying?  IE I join the guest network and attempt to get on the internet and I should be redirected to the sign-in portal, but that never happens.    User are given an IP address on the guest network so that is not the issue.  

No changes were made between today and yesterday and I can see users connected to the guest portal now.  I just dont know what to check or where to look.  

• 2.  RE: Captive Guest Portal stopped displaying

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 02, 2011 10:59 AM

What OS are the Clients? Do you know about the OCSP and CRL issues with Macs?

Several of the major cert providers changed the addresses of their OCSP and CRL servers this week.

• 3.  RE: Captive Guest Portal stopped displaying

Posted Dec 02, 2011 11:12 AM

As Zach stated, most common issue recently is the OCSP one mentioned in a number of other threads like this one http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Command-of-the-Day/COTD-Allow-OCSP-Requests-In-Logon-Role/m-p/14624/highlight/true#M321.  the issue is NOT OS specific, it will manifest itself on Firefox on Windows or Mac and Also I believe Chrome.  

• 4.  RE: Captive Guest Portal stopped displaying

Posted Dec 02, 2011 11:31 AM

OSX and windows.  Still not sure what the problem is from reading that other thread.  

• 5.  RE: Captive Guest Portal stopped displaying

Posted Dec 02, 2011 11:33 AM

Another easy one to check is DNS resolution for the guest devices. If they can't resolve DNS then their web browser will not generate a HTTP request and hence never get redirected.

A quick way to eliminate this as an issue is to open a browser on the guest device and attempt to browse to http://1.1.1.1 or something similar and this should be enough to trigger a HTTP request.

• 6.  RE: Captive Guest Portal stopped displaying

Posted Dec 02, 2011 11:45 AM

Its generating DNS requests but they arent resolving.   

• 7.  RE: Captive Guest Portal stopped displaying

Posted Dec 02, 2011 12:05 PM

Its fixed.  Our guest wireless is on a comcast line and in the end I just power cycled the comcast router and when it came back all was well again.

• 8.  RE: Captive Guest Portal stopped displaying

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 02, 2011 12:17 PM

Awesome!