Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Captive Portal Certificate Issue

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  Captive Portal Certificate Issue

Posted Nov 30, 2016 10:16 AM

We have a controller which is having an issue with certificates on Captive Portal - hosted on the controller itself.

When connecting via Windows IE the CP page comes up fine (initially gets the "there is a problem with the website's security" message but able to proceed and log in.

However connecting with Android devices (Google Chrome and Firefox browser) they get the message "The indentity of this website has not been verified - Server's certificate is not trusted".

To me, that seems to that the certificate isn't authorised by a CA in the browser, rather than an issue with the controller itself?

I've checked the cert and it is in date, and the CN matches the controller DNS name.

• 2.  RE: Captive Portal Certificate Issue
    Best Answer

Posted Nov 30, 2016 10:30 AM

Hi!

Could it perhaps be a SHA-1 certificate? Many browsers, Chrome being one of them, doesn´t accept those anymore.

I´m guessing it´s a third party certificate that you bought yourself and not the default certificate? The default certificate is revoked and can´t be used anymore.

Cheers,

• 3.  RE: Captive Portal Certificate Issue

Posted Nov 30, 2016 10:33 AM

It is indeed a third party certificate (I've already had the headache from other sites about the revoked certificate!).

Looking at the error, it does also say that is ia an obsolete cipher suite. I'll look to see if i can find more information on this being the problem...

• 4.  RE: Captive Portal Certificate Issue

Posted Nov 30, 2016 10:35 AM

I bet it says SHA-1, you should aquire a third party SHA-256 certificate and you should be fine :)

Cheers,

• 5.  RE: Captive Portal Certificate Issue