Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Captive Portal Certificate change, stuck after (succesfully) uploading cert

This thread has been viewed 10 times
  • 1.  Captive Portal Certificate change, stuck after (succesfully) uploading cert

Posted Jun 14, 2018 06:25 AM

Hi there,

I've gone through several topics and keep looping back to the same How-To topics, followed all the steps, but i'm kind of stuck in changing the certificate for our guest network login. 

We have 6 "apin0103" access points, and manage them via VC. 
    I've created a certificate, converted everything to pem, and combined certificate, bundle and key in a single file as instructed.

In the VC web UI, i've gone to Maintanance, Certificates, Upload New Certificate.

I've selected "Captive Portal" as the certiicate type, "PAM (.pem..." as the certificate format, browsed to the combined file mentioned above, entered the key's passphrase and clicked "Upload Certificate". 

After a few seconds, i'm greeted with a success message telling me the certificate has been successfully added.

And that's where i'm stuck. As far as i understood, the hostname used for Captive Portal logins should be taken from the new certificate. However, when trying to connect to the network involved, i'm still greeted with the untrusted splash page on the default host (securelogin.arubanetworks.com). 

What am i missing here? I've browsed around the VC's UI and see no means to actually select a certificate for the internal Captive Portal anywhere...

I also don't see the added certificate anywhere. The Maintenance -> Certificates tab has a textarea that only displays the two default certificates that were already there before i (apparently succesfully) uploaded our own certificate.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks. 

• 2.  RE: Captive Portal Certificate change, stuck after (succesfully) uploading cert

Posted Jun 15, 2018 05:57 AM

Hi Miel,

Please share the output for the following command:

show captive-portal-domains

show version

Please check the output for "show cert all" on the CLI to check if the uploaded certificate is listed .

Was this a wildcard certificate or one with FQDN?

• 3.  RE: Captive Portal Certificate change, stuck after (succesfully) uploading cert

Posted Jun 18, 2018 04:26 AM

Hi, here's the output of the listed commands.

It seems the whole certificate upload from the Instant UI (although confirmed as being successfull) did not do much:

BM_ap_06# show captive-portal-domains

Internal Captive Portal Domain:

securelogin.arubanetworks.com

External Captive Portal Domains:

localhost

BM_ap_06# show version

Aruba Operating System Software.

ArubaOS (MODEL: 103), Version 6.4.0.2-4.1.0.0

Copyright (c) 2002-2014, Aruba Networks, Inc.

Compiled on 2014-05-29 at 18:21:55 PDT (build 44004) by p4build

AP uptime is 14 weeks 2 days 7 hours 42 minutes 37 seconds

Reboot Time and Cause: unknown

BM_ap_06# show cert all

Default Server Certificate:

Version       :3

Serial Number :01:DA:52

Issuer        :C=US, O=GeoTrust Inc., OU=Domain Validated SSL, CN=GeoTrust DV SSL CA

Subject       :0x05=lLUge2fRPkWcJe7boLSVdsKOFK8wv3MF, C=US, O=securelogin.arubanetworks.com, OU=GT28470348, OU=See www.geotrust.com/resources/cps (c)11, OU=Domain Control Validated - QuickSSL(R) Premium, CN=securelogin.arubanetworks.com

Issued On     :2011-05-11 01:22:10

Expires On    :2017-08-11 04:40:59

Signed Using  :SHA1

RSA Key size  :2048 bits

Default CP Server Certificate:

Version       :3

Serial Number :01:DA:52

Issuer        :C=US, O=GeoTrust Inc., OU=Domain Validated SSL, CN=GeoTrust DV SSL CA

Subject       :0x05=lLUge2fRPkWcJe7boLSVdsKOFK8wv3MF, C=US, O=securelogin.arubanetworks.com, OU=GT28470348, OU=See www.geotrust.com/resources/cps (c)11, OU=Domain Control Validated - QuickSSL(R) Premium, CN=securelogin.arubanetworks.com

Issued On     :2011-05-11 01:22:10

Expires On    :2017-08-11 04:40:59

Signed Using  :SHA1

RSA Key size  :2048 bits

BM_ap_06#

• 4.  RE: Captive Portal Certificate change, stuck after (succesfully) uploading cert

Posted Jun 18, 2018 04:46 AM

Hi Miel,

Is it possible to upgrade to IAP to latest firmware & then try uploading certificate?

Are you using a wildcard certificate or one with FQDN ?

• 5.  RE: Captive Portal Certificate change, stuck after (succesfully) uploading cert

Posted Jun 18, 2018 07:02 AM

FQDN, sorry missed that in my earlier response.

I'll have a look at upgrading the firmware, will report back.

• 6.  RE: Captive Portal Certificate change, stuck after (succesfully) uploading cert

Posted Jun 18, 2018 07:12 AM

Am i correct in assuming a valid support contract is required in order to download/get firmware updates?

I reckon we don't have one, but i'll scan some former colleagues' mailboxes later today to see if anything pops up

• 7.  RE: Captive Portal Certificate change, stuck after (succesfully) uploading cert

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 18, 2018 08:25 AM

A Valid Service contract is required for access to ALL firmware.  The limited lifetime warranty provides access to all of the firmware here:  

http://support.arubanetworks.com/LifetimeWarrantySoftware/tabid/121/DMXModule/661/Default.aspx?EntryId=20388

• 8.  RE: Captive Portal Certificate change, stuck after (succesfully) uploading cert

Posted Jun 18, 2018 10:01 AM

Thanks Joseph, i was successfully able to upgrade all our APs to the latest firmware in the link you sent.

Once all APs rebooted, i did have some trouble finding the one that was designated as being master, but after a few probes on the known AP IPs, i did get the correct overview of all APs in the virtual controller, yay!

Additionally, the firmware upgrade unveiled the certificate i had uploaded earlier, and upon trying the guest network from my local machine, i was indeed greeted with a splash screen on the new hostname (the one used as CN in the certificate).

One issue remains: i used to be able to connect to the Virtual Controller via instant.arubanetworks.com:4343, but am no longer able to (have to use the IP). 

Any hints as to where to configure that correctly? 
    And even better: is there any way to set that hostname to (a) something different and (b) with a valid certificate? 

Thanks again!