Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Captive Portal Issue

This thread has been viewed 8 times
  • 1.  Captive Portal Issue

Posted Dec 11, 2012 03:48 PM

I have an Aruba 200.  I have setup captive portal, but the login page will not display when you connect to the guest network.  

I have configured a separate VLAN 900 for the guest network and I have setup the controller to do DHCP.  If you connect a PC to the guest network you receive an IP address from the DHCP range, but you cannot browse to the captive portal login page. 

I have setup captive portal before but I am not sure what I am doing wrong this time.  Only thing I can think of is I am not sure what the DNS server is on the external internet connection that is connected to VLAN 900.

• 2.  RE: Captive Portal Issue

Posted Dec 11, 2012 07:18 PM

Hello

Let see if i can help you

Okay you setup a vlan 900 that just exist on the controller?

If so you need to nat that and also do an intervlan routing between that ip interface and the one ip interface that got the default gateway.

Also you need to setup the dns.... on the DNS you can put 4.2.2.1 or 8.8.8.8 which are public DNS.

Remember that it would be a good idea that on the role that it get after the authentication he gets no access anywhere inside the network just like https and http and dns to the internet....

If it happens that you cannot reolve DNS the captive portal page will not work...

IF the ip interface of the vlan900 does not have an ip the captive portal also willl not work.

So check if you can resolve names

For example start connecting tot the captive portal

And do  on the cmd

ping www.google.com

If it not resolve then that should be your issue....

If it resolve but stil cannot get access to the captive potal then we need to check...

You can post the config you got... maybe some screenshots of your config can help us?

Cheers

CArlos

• 3.  RE: Captive Portal Issue

Posted Dec 12, 2012 07:01 PM
      |   view attached

Yea, I can't ping www.google.com.  I thought it might be a DNS issue.  I'm using 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 as the DNS on the guest DHCP pool.  

I've attached a copy of the config.  I don't have access to the router that gives VLAN 900.  I am working on it, but the routers in Germany and I'm in Orlando.

Attachment(s)

txt
    ger1.running.config.txt   14 KB 1 version

• 4.  RE: Captive Portal Issue

Posted Dec 12, 2012 07:03 PM

When you say you cant ping it

You say that you cannot resolve www.google.com

or it does resolve with the ip address but you CANT ping it

• 5.  RE: Captive Portal Issue

Posted Dec 13, 2012 10:54 AM

It does not resolve.  

• 6.  RE: Captive Portal Issue
    Best Answer

Posted Dec 13, 2012 12:07 PM

Figured out my problem.  I set the IP address of VLAN 900 and the default gateway both to .254.  Changing the VLAN to .253 solved the problem.

• 7.  RE: Captive Portal Issue

Posted Dec 13, 2012 12:46 PM

Good to know its fixed

Cheers

Carlos