Wireless Access

last person joined: 22 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Captive Portal not assigning correct Role

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Captive Portal not assigning correct Role

Posted Mar 02, 2012 11:38 AM

I've setup a second Captive Portal page using the guest-logon as the initial role and the ****Guest us the user role after authentication.  We see users get assigned the guest-logon initial role, but once they authenticate via Captive Portal they are placed on the guest role instead.

I've checked everything and cannot find why this is happening.  Any suggestions?

• 2.  RE: Captive Portal not assigning correct Role

Posted Mar 02, 2012 11:52 AM

I would check the default role under 

"show aaa authentication captive-portal <profile-name>" 

• 3.  RE: Captive Portal not assigning correct Role

Posted Mar 02, 2012 01:53 PM

Are the users authenticated using the internal database on the controller?  If so, they will have "guest" as the role by default and a server provided role takes precendence over the default role.

If you want to use a role other than "guest", you will have to edit the internal account roles OR use an external authentication server (AFAIK).

• 4.  RE: Captive Portal not assigning correct Role

Posted Mar 02, 2012 03:19 PM

Run the command 'show aaa server-group <server group name>' Do you see: 'set role condition role value-of'? The default server groups applies this Server Rule. Either remove this rule, or if this Sever Group is being referenced by other profiles create a new Server Group, and leave out that Server Rule

• 5.  RE: Captive Portal not assigning correct Role

Posted Mar 02, 2012 06:30 PM

I've run into the same issue recently.  What code are you running?

• 6.  RE: Captive Portal not assigning correct Role

Posted Mar 03, 2012 02:51 PM

I would probably debug that user and check in the user-debug logs, where these roles are getting derived from.

• 7.  RE: Captive Portal not assigning correct Role

Posted Mar 06, 2012 11:33 AM

Sorry for the late reply.  After doing some reading on your code release version, we found the issue.  We are on code 3.3.3.2.  Apparently on this code the default role assigned for guest users via Captive Portal is "guest".  There is nowheere in the CLI or GUI where this shows, we just found it by reading.

• 8.  RE: Captive Portal not assigning correct Role

Posted May 09, 2018 07:26 AM

you can also check the role by 

show user ip <ip address of client>    or by show user mac <mac of client >

there it will have all the info about the client and look for role and vlan derivation.

• 9.  RE: Captive Portal not assigning correct Role

Posted May 09, 2018 07:29 AM

also try checking the user table and look for authentication as web that means it went through captive portal , once verified look for the role client is getting , if its not the role u mentioned then , check the default-role you specified in aaa authentication captive <name >.