Wireless Access

last person joined: 17 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Captive Portal with bridge mode RAP

This thread has been viewed 7 times
  • 1.  Captive Portal with bridge mode RAP

Posted Feb 18, 2013 12:52 PM

I have been reading the KB on how to configure captive portal withe a remote AP and bridge ssid here.  It states the following item:

2) Guests users are placed in a private VLAN which is isolated from normal corporate users.  Private IP addresses are assigned by a DHCP server on the controller.

Will this work if the controller is not supplying DHCP addresses?  I have a remote site connected via a point to point VPN.  The firewall at the remote site is acting as the DHCP server for all hosts on that network including the APs.  The APs are 135s configured as RAPs.

• 2.  RE: Captive Portal with bridge mode RAP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 18, 2013 02:59 PM

From the same article - "Typically, a wireless SSID (virtual AP) used for guest access in a Remote AP (RAP) is configured in 'bridge' mode (traffic routed locally).  However, the Aruba captive portal is hosted on the controller only. Therefore, an user associated to an SSID in bridge mode (forwarding mode) will not be able to reach the captive portal pages hosted on the controller.  In order to get around this, the SSID must be set-up in 'split-tunnel' mode. "

• 3.  RE: Captive Portal with bridge mode RAP

Posted Feb 18, 2013 03:06 PM

I have no issue switching this to a split tunnel SSID, however; if the controller isn't handing out the DHCP addresses will it still work.

• 4.  RE: Captive Portal with bridge mode RAP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 18, 2013 03:08 PM

@msales wrote:

I have no issue switching this to a split tunnel SSID, however; if the controller isn't handing out the DHCP addresses will it still work.

I see..

Unfortunately, no.  After the user gets an ip address with the local site, he needs to be able to route to the controller's login page to do anything (bring up the captive portal page, etc..

• 5.  RE: Captive Portal with bridge mode RAP

Posted Sep 27, 2015 11:53 PM

Hi,

Any update on the AOS that allow's captive portal for bridge mode configured RAP SSID?

Thank you. 

Regards,

Ryan 

• 6.  RE: Captive Portal with bridge mode RAP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 27, 2015 11:54 PM
    Captive portal is not supported in bridge mode on controller-based APs. 

Thanks, 
    Tim