Wireless Access

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor II

Car/Bus Mount for 205H/303H AP

Here is a picture of the mount I created for the 205h/303h to work on 12V cigarette lighter plug in a vehicle.  It is configured as a RAP using 4G/LTE as the secondary uplink with eth1 as the primary.  It extends campus wireless, VOIP and cameras (poe on eth3) to this remote site application with options to plug into a wall outlet with power supply or a direct 12VDC source.  My next version I am looking at will include an internal battery to help with the initial power on delay of 10-15 minutes and if the vehicle turns off or the device is moved from vehicle to remote campus site.

Richard Mitchell
ACMP | JNCIS-ENT | UACA

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Car/Bus Mount for 205H/303H AP

Yes indeed heat is an issue.  So this mount has a fan and fan thermal control system built into it to keep air flowing across the AP's heat sink.  I am currently working on a design that will allow for passive cooling.

Richard Mitchell
ACMP | JNCIS-ENT | UACA

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
All-Decade MVP 2020

Impressive!

I am curious, what kind of latency are you getting being that it is a cellular backhaul? Mainly, how is voice affected on the the VoIP aspect?

Scott McNeil - Sr. Network & Security Engineer, Global Process Automation
Network+ | CWICP | CWDP | CWNA | CWTS | ACSP | ACMP | ACMA | BREC
https://industrialwifishop.wordpress.com/
Highlighted

Latency is good when LTE/4G coverage is good.  Traffic being tunneled does help with jitter an routing though both the cellular network and campus network.  You are still at the mercy of the cellular network and campus network you are connecting back too.  Only issues that I have found is the initial bootup.  To connect as a RAP through LTE it takes 10-15 minutes.  So this would work best in longer commutes if use is from a vehicle.  This is why I am considering a internal battery much like a laptop battery.  This is a completely mobile option with a non permanent installation.  You could potential see better performance and coverage with a fully mounted solution but this design gives you maximum versatility.

Richard Mitchell
ACMP | JNCIS-ENT | UACA
Highlighted
Aruba

Very cool, but I'm a bit concerned about thermal.

These APs can get quite hot, and unobstructed airflow along the back of the AP (heatsink) is important.

Did you do some thermal testing?

/Onno
Highlighted

Yes indeed heat is an issue.  So this mount has a fan and fan thermal control system built into it to keep air flowing across the AP's heat sink.  I am currently working on a design that will allow for passive cooling.

Richard Mitchell
ACMP | JNCIS-ENT | UACA

View solution in original post

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: