Wireless Access

last person joined: 17 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Centralized Licensing feature in Master and Master Backup topology ????

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Centralized Licensing feature in Master and Master Backup topology ????

Posted May 05, 2016 01:26 AM

Dear Concerned,

In my setup two controller running in Master and Backup-Master mode by using VRRP feature. IAP's model 215 total number of APs are 75. VLAN-1 subnet on both controllers are 10.10.10.0/24 and VRRP instance is created for vlan-1

Master controller 10.10.10.2/24, Backup controller 10.10.10.3/24 and VRRP IP of vlan-1 is 10.10.10.1/24. Logical IP 10.10.10.1 is pointed during the IAP conversion process.

All the licenses are installed on Master controller. 

However I found that.......The master controller in a master-local topology is the primary licensing server by default. If this master controller already has a redundant standby master, that redundant master will automatically act as the backup licensing server with no additional configuration.

Do I need to enable the centralized licensing feature on both controllers ? 

Please provide the valueable expertise in this regard.

• 2.  RE: Centralized Licensing feature in Master and Master Backup topology ????
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 05, 2016 05:17 AM

You only need to enable it on the master.

• 3.  RE: Centralized Licensing feature in Master and Master Backup topology ????

Posted May 05, 2016 06:46 AM

Dear Colin,

You are requested to please provide the config steps of centralized licensing for each scanrio mentioned below

Scenrio-1

Controller-1 Primary Master and Controller-2 as a Secondary-Master

Scenario-2

Controller-1 Master and Controller-2 is in Standby role 

• 4.  RE: Centralized Licensing feature in Master and Master Backup topology ????

Posted May 05, 2016 06:47 AM

Dear Colin,

You are requested to please the config steps of centralized licensing for each scanrio mentioned below

Scenrio-1

Controller-1 Primary Master and Controller-2 as a Secondary-Master

Scenario-2

Controller-1 Master and Controller-2 is in Standby role 

• 5.  RE: Centralized Licensing feature in Master and Master Backup topology ????

Posted May 05, 2016 06:49 AM

Sorry multpile copies of single post have been posted.

• 6.  RE: Centralized Licensing feature in Master and Master Backup topology ????

Posted May 06, 2016 12:16 AM

Dear colin,

Can you please elaborate

Both controllers are running in the Master role. All licenses are installed on Master-1. Master-2 is in standby mode. If I enable the centralized licensing feature on Master-1, what configuration I have to do on Master-2 controller ??

Do i need to enabel the License redudancy ? VRRP IP ?

• 7.  RE: Centralized Licensing feature in Master and Master Backup topology ????
    Best Answer

Posted May 06, 2016 03:02 AM

Hi

If you have 2 Masters and one is in Standby - Then enabling Centralized Licensing on the Master is all that is required. (Test to confirm - fail the master, the secondary should take over and AP's will remain Licensed.)

Please note that the actual License is NOT transfered to the Secondary/Standby controller - it keeps the license in its Database for 30+ Days, maybe 90 can't remember - the license is not visible on the secondary, in that time you need to get your Primary Master back up and running.

If you are running an All Master configuration - meaning both controllers are active with APs terminating on both of them and having 2x VRRPs running then you need to configure the License Redundancy with the apropriate VRRP IDs.

• 8.  RE: Centralized Licensing feature in Master and Master Backup topology ????

Posted May 06, 2016 03:14 AM

Ok I am almost there.... Just to know about what do you mean by below statements.

Please note that the actual License is NOT transfered to the Secondary/Standby controller  ??? 

You mean built-in licenses are not transfered to the standby and vise versa...

If you are running an All Master configuration - meaning both controllers are active with APs terminating on both of them and having 2x VRRPs running then you need to configure the License Redundancy with the apropriate VRRP IDs. 

If centralized licensing is required to be enabled on Master-1 only, then what do you mean by (  then you need to configure the License Redundancy with the apropriate VRRP IDs. )

• 9.  RE: Centralized Licensing feature in Master and Master Backup topology ????

Posted May 05, 2016 05:19 AM

Hi

From my setup (similar setup as you are running) - It mostly comes down to how Redundancy is setup and the Roles you are running on them.

From my setup, on the GUI under Controller Configuration your Backup/Secondary Controller should register the Role as "Standby" and your Primary will have the Master Role.

On the Secondary if it is in the Standby Role then your centralized licensing options should be greyd out and unconfigurable on the Standby/Backup/Secondary controller. Meaning you only set it up on your master with the apropriate VRRP ID - the secondary should dupilcate the Configured license redundancy from your Master.

How my Redundancy is configured - on mine I have the VRRP route between the 2 controllers + Database Sync enabled + Master redundancy config running on the created VRRP ID.

From the NOTE displayed on the Controller GUI below the Centralized License Config it states:

This Config will be used if this box is a Master/Backup license server

License Server Redundancy is already available since Master-Standby redundancy is configured.

License Redundancy and License server IP are only applicable in an all Master Controller deployment.

Hope this helps

• 10.  RE: Centralized Licensing feature in Master and Master Backup topology ????

Posted May 05, 2016 07:14 AM

Both controllers are running in Master role.

Should I need to enable centralized licensing on Master-1 ? all licenses installed on Master-1.

Moreover what other configuration is required on Master-2 ?