Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Centralized licensing clarification

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Centralized licensing clarification

Posted Feb 06, 2014 07:10 PM
    In regards to centralized licensing, I have a couple questions. In the user guide, I read: Page 115 of Aruba OS 6.3 user guide “You can use the centralized licensing feature in a master-local topology with a redundant backup master, or in a multi-master network where all the masters can communicate with each other (for example, if they are all connected to a single AirWave server.) In the master-local topology, the master controller acts as the primary licensing server, and the redundant backup master acts as the backup licensing server. In a multi-master network, one controller must be designated as a primary server and a second controller configured as a backup licensing server. Centralized licensing can distribute the following license types:” Does this mean that I could have a single licensing server for multiple mobility domains? So if I had say, 1000 ap licenses, 12 pairs of controllers with each pair in a different site, each site configured as a different mobility domain, would they all be able to come back to a single licensing server and share the 1000 ap licenses? Is the situation different with and without AirWave? I’ve also read on the forums that if the licensing server were to go down, all controllers maintain their licensing for up to 30 days. During that outage, do controllers have exactly as many licenses as required, or do they pull licenses in blocks of 10, 20, 30, etc.? What I’m getting at -- during the outage, would there be any ability to add AP's to controllers before the licensing server came back online or would every controller already be at maximum licensing?

• 2.  RE: Centralized licensing clarification

Posted Feb 06, 2014 10:22 PM

You can have one controller act as the Licensing Server for serveral controllers .

For example If you have master controller with 100 licenses with 10 Clients (Local Controllers) using 10 licenses each if the Master controller fails each controller will the 10 licenses already in use.

• 3.  RE: Centralized licensing clarification

Posted Feb 07, 2014 07:59 PM

Fabian could you rewrite that? i didnt understand.... :( my english sometimes bothers me! :(

Got a few questions

In existing deployment:

Let say i got 3 controllers

2x 3400 and 1x 3200mx

Let say i got  both 3400 with all the licenses and i got  the remiaining 3200mx with 16 licesnse...

Now if i upgrade it to the 6.3.x version

And i decide that  one of the 3400 is thelicense server.   How does this work? how can i move all the licesnse to it?

Or how this actually works?

In a new deployment in which i buy 2x3400

I buy just 64 licesnse, where do i install the License? on the licesnse server?

If that license server fails and all my aps fall back to the secondary controller, how does the license would move to the secondary contoller?

I got more quetsoins but illl leave those 2!

I cant really test though... i got my controllers on new custumers running demos :(

Cheers

Carlos

• 4.  RE: Centralized licensing clarification

Posted Feb 08, 2014 05:47 AM

Hello Carlos,

For question 1:-

2 X 3400 - total 128 license

1 X 3200 - total 16 license

After you had done the licensing server tick, the Master licensing server will host 144 licenses (Only licenses that comes with the controller will not be added across example if yo uhave 3200-8 and an additional 8 APs licenses, once you choose the 3400 as the master licensing server you only have 136 AP licenses only.

Question 2

2 X 3400 - total 64 license

In design aspect, local master will  be use for to terminate the APs, thus even if master licensing controller fails no issue, existing APs will still works. But if APs terminate on the master licensing server then APs will not have the ability to fail over to the local controller. But if you have a backup master licensing server your it will not matter which controller fails.

This are what I had gether after lenghty discussion with my local SE as many of my customer requires this solution in oredr to cut cost, but I alway encourage them to buy a backup master controller.

• 5.  RE: Centralized licensing clarification

Posted Feb 08, 2014 05:49 AM

Do correct me if my understanding is wrong. Thanks.

• 6.  RE: Centralized licensing clarification

Posted Feb 12, 2014 08:14 PM

My bad Carlos didn't see this one.

But once you make that 3400A the master controller  and enable Centralize Licensing on it (Master will become the license server) and 3400B and the 3200 (will become license clients) and all the licenses will be combine (except the built in licenses those don't get shared)

If you buy 64 licenses you should install it on the 3400A master controller (license server)

• 7.  RE: Centralized licensing clarification

Posted Feb 08, 2014 05:37 AM

Hello Fabain,

To answer your question:-

"What I’m getting at -- during the outage, would there be any ability to add AP's to controllers before the licensing server came back online or would every controller already be at maximum licensing?"

From my understanding, if the outage is on the licensing server there is no way to add new APs to any of the controller as they do not have any more license on them. It has to be distribute from the Master Licensing server, but if you have a backup master then it will solve your problem. Since the backup master may not be in use most of the time you can use a slightly smaller controller for that but do take note of the load of the entire network do not choose a small as a backup 620 if you have 10 X 7210 running, this will be a design issue.

• 8.  RE: Centralized licensing clarification

Posted Feb 08, 2014 05:39 AM

Actually address to the wrong contributor. Sorry about that.