Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Certificate error connecting to controller GUI

This thread has been viewed 37 times
  • 1.  Certificate error connecting to controller GUI

Posted Sep 09, 2019 05:04 AM

AOS 8.4.0.4 cluster with MM & standby MM

When using Firefox I get a cert error when connecting to one of our MCs. I have added exceptions for the other controllers (some time ago) but for this particular MC it doesn't give me that option:

Secure Connection Failed

An error occurred during a connection to 131.111.10.92:4343. You have received an invalid certificate. Please contact the server administrator or email correspondent and give them the following information: Your certificate contains the same serial number as another certificate issued by the certificate authority. Please get a new certificate containing a unique serial number. Error code: SEC_ERROR_REUSED_ISSUER_AND_SERIAL

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
    Please contact the web site owners to inform them of this problem. 

I can use Chrome instead which gives me the option to add an exception.

This particular controller did at one time have a different hostname. I've deleted my current exceptions but that doesn't seem to have made any difference. Note - we currently use the built-in certs. Could anyone explain what is likely to be happening here?

• 2.  RE: Certificate error connecting to controller GUI

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Sep 09, 2019 05:22 AM

Are you using the self-signed certificate (not trusted..) or have you replaced this with your own signed (trusted...) certificate? 

• 3.  RE: Certificate error connecting to controller GUI

Posted Sep 09, 2019 05:24 AM

Hello,

We are using the self-signed certs, as a general rule should we be replacing these with certs from a known CA? (Note - we don't issue certs to clients at the moment).

• 4.  RE: Certificate error connecting to controller GUI
    Best Answer

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Sep 09, 2019 05:29 AM

In that case you should replace the the self-signed cert with your own cert. There has been cert issues previously :

https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Controller-Based-WLANs/ArubaOS-Default-Certificate-Revocation-FAQ-Controllers/ta-p/275809