Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Change IPs of Controller and APs (BLE?)

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Change IPs of Controller and APs (BLE?)

Posted Jul 09, 2018 10:11 AM

Hi there,

I have to switch our whole infrastructure (some AP 315 ans a 7005 under AOS 8.3.0.1) to a new IPv4 addess range.

All APs were set to static IPs in former times when they were iAPs and during migration to managed APs I nailed them to the fixed IP address aof the 7005.

What is best practice to move them all to a new private subnet? (I have no physical access to these APs)

Thank you in advance - 

F.One

• 2.  RE: Change IPs of Controller and APs (BLE?)

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Jul 09, 2018 10:44 AM
    Far as i known you need cli access to the ap’s, the only way to do this is by serial console cable or bluethoot.

The ap315 have a feature that you can enable from the controller to enable serial over bluethoot (disabled by default).

I prefer to use dhcp for ap’s. The subnet isnt really important as long they can discovery and ping the controller.

• 3.  RE: Change IPs of Controller and APs (BLE?)

• 4.  RE: Change IPs of Controller and APs (BLE?)

• 5.  RE: Change IPs of Controller and APs (BLE?)

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 09, 2018 11:06 AM

To concur with MKK,

First convert all of your accesss points to DHCP on the existing subnet.  When they all come up, you can easily switch the underlying network and discovery method to point to the controller on the new subnet. 

- When the APs lose connectivity with the existing controller, they will get a new ip address via DHCP and a new discovery method and just follow the controller to the new ip address..

• 6.  RE: Change IPs of Controller and APs (BLE?)

Posted Jul 10, 2018 04:37 AM

@MKK Thank you, but I already followed this article but my APs are NOT iAPs so at the end the command subset is completely different

@cjoseph But HOW do I change manageged APs IP addresses to DHCP?

At the controller GUI (8.3.0.1) I cannot find any place to edit the IP settings of the APs and via BLE console look at my posting below.

Is there any how to, a commented list of CLI commands or something like this?

Thanks, F.One 

• 7.  RE: Change IPs of Controller and APs (BLE?)

Posted Jul 10, 2018 07:46 AM

EDIT: Oh no, the following just ends up in a new static IP: The one that it got the last time pulling one from the DHCP! This is rude!

OMG - so why there is no documention how to set an AP back to DHCP??

First step is done:

- enable DHCP-Server on controller (done)

- connect to managed AP via BLE (done)

- reboot AP (done)

- interrupt boot procedure (done)

- "DHCP" (done)

- "save" (done)

- "boot" (done)

- pray (done)

Now all APs are back from static IP to DHCP again.

No, they are not: they just have a new static IP from the DHCP-range which will surely end up in "duplicate IP address" failures as long as I do not exclude all these IPs from DHCP now.

It is a hard job to find out the correct way:

- BluConsole on iOS crashes sometimes,

- Very often one can connect to AP but no login screen will appear and soon you will be disconnected. Only way I could find out to get really access: Boot AP via controller and be very (!) fast

- CLI on APBoot differs from "normal" CLI on AP, could not find a good and human readable documentation of CLI syntax

- it is documented how to set static IP - but did not found how to go back to DHCP!

- The apboot command "dhcp" is not well described. From the description one could think that it will pull an IP just for the moment and show it on the console...)

So good luck to anyone else in this situation - above is the solution

• 8.  RE: Change IPs of Controller and APs (BLE?)

Posted Jul 18, 2018 11:00 AM

Nobody an idea?

How to reset APs to DHCP back?

As mentioned above:

"DHCP" and
    "save"

does save the given DHCP address as a static IP for next boot.

APBOOT commands like here https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Wireless-Access/Tutorial-AP-Boot-Commands/td-p/91734 are not well decomented it seems...

• 9.  RE: Change IPs of Controller and APs (BLE?)

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 18, 2018 07:48 PM

Aruba access points are never intended be run with DHCP.  It is highly discouraged to run them with static ip addresses, so you will find little documentation about this.

To remove ipaddress parameters via apboot you would do this:

setenv ipaddr

setenv netmask

setenv gatewayip

setenv serverip

setenv master

save

boot