Wireless Access

last person joined: 19 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Change Netmask on controller

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  Change Netmask on controller

Posted Apr 23, 2018 05:49 AM

Hi,

I have a controller Aruba 650 Release 6.4.2.2.

I need to change the netmask of the controller on interface vlan 1 from 255.255.255.0 to 255.255.252.0.

When I try to do it, I obtain the following error:

"Error occurred while executing CLI command :interface vlan 1 ip address 192.168.0.239 255.255.252.0:Error:IP Address Matches the master ip"

On web user interface, I see that Master IP and loopback interface are the same, so I assigned to the loopback interface an ip address on vlan 150. 

But still I get the same error, when I try to change the netmask of vlan 1.

Any idea of why I'm getting this error?

Thanks

Kind regards.

• 2.  RE: Change Netmask on controller

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Apr 23, 2018 07:43 AM

Is this a standalone controller or in Master-Local deployment? Check this with the below using the CLI

#show roleinfo

• 3.  RE: Change Netmask on controller

Posted Apr 23, 2018 08:04 AM

It's a standalone controller.

#show roleinfo

switchrole:master

• 4.  RE: Change Netmask on controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 23, 2018 09:50 AM

The loopback is not really necessary.  Try to remove the loopback ip address (it might ask you to reboot) and try again.

• 5.  RE: Change Netmask on controller

Posted Apr 24, 2018 05:28 AM

I moved the loopback interface in another network and it doesn't work.

I found this string in the running configuration:

"controller-ip vlan 1"

Could it be the reason because I can't change the netmask of vlan 1?

• 6.  RE: Change Netmask on controller

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Apr 24, 2018 05:33 AM

Have you rebooted the controller since you changed the controller vlan? The below will tell you if you have any outstanding configuration. 

#show configuration diff

There's a good chance you have made changes which require a reboot but since the reboot hasn't occurred these changes have not been implemented yet.

• 7.  RE: Change Netmask on controller
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 24, 2018 05:55 AM

@Michele wrote:

I moved the loopback interface in another network and it doesn't work.

I found this string in the running configuration:

"controller-ip vlan 1"

Could it be the reason because I can't change the netmask of vlan 1?

To be clear, setting a loopback interface allows you to state what ip address and VLAN will be the controller's ip address.  Unfortunately setting a loopback interface consumes a second ip address on a VLAN that already has an ip address.  Setting a loopback is an old way of setting the controller's ip address.   "Controller-ip vlan xxx" should be used instead, because it does not consume an ip address.  Controller-ip vlan xxx conflicts with a loopback and only one should be used.  Changing the controller's ip address or vlan typically requires a reboot, because that is the official ip address that it uses to communicate with access points and external systems.

Long story short, just use controller-ip vlan xxx and remove the loopback (will probably require a reboot).