Wireless Access

last person joined: 17 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Changing enable

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Changing enable

Posted Dec 06, 2011 10:48 AM

I need to change the enable password on a 3600 switch.

I have web-gui "root" access.

I know you can change the enable password by going through the Controller Wizard but is there any other way to do this other than the wizard? (the wizard is going to make me reboot because of some other changes I had to do as well and don't want to do that in the middle of the day)

I've tried to SSH in and do the U:password P:forgetme! procedure but that doesn't seem to work. Do you have to be on console for that to work? Trying to get this done remotely for a client.

Thanks in advance !!! 

Mike

• 2.  RE: Changing enable

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 06, 2011 11:05 AM

@Jaasperff wrote:

I need to change the enable password on a 3600 switch.

I have web-gui "root" access.

I know you can change the enable password by going through the Controller Wizard but is there any other way to do this other than the wizard? (the wizard is going to make me reboot because of some other changes I had to do as well and don't want to do that in the middle of the day)

I've tried to SSH in and do the U:password P:forgetme! procedure but that doesn't seem to work. Do you have to be on console for that to work? Trying to get this done remotely for a client.

Thanks in advance !!! 

Mike

You need to use the password/forgetme! from the console port on the controller. You cannot use that remotely via SSH.

• 3.  RE: Changing enable

Posted Dec 06, 2011 11:07 AM

that's what I figured.

Ok.. well i guess I'll just have to wait and do the reboot via the wizard after hours then.

• 4.  RE: Changing enable

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 06, 2011 11:16 AM

Do you need to change it or was it forgotten?

If forgetten then password recovery method is what you need to do.

If all you need to do is change it then log into the command line as normal and use the command 'enable secret' within configuration mode.