Wireless Access

last person joined: 12 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Checking SSID's In Aruba

This thread has been viewed 7 times
  • 1.  Checking SSID's In Aruba

Posted Jan 25, 2019 09:03 AM

Folks, good morning!  First, I'm brand new to Aruba wireless.  I come from a Cisco background with regards to wireless access.  I was handed an Aruba wireless environment to work on.  There are 3 SSID's.  There is an Aruba AMP portal.  Here are my questions:

1) Where do you create/check on SSID's?  

2) Is AMP the equivalent of Cisco PRIME when it comes to wireless?

Any help would be much appreciated!

• 2.  RE: Checking SSID's In Aruba

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 25, 2019 09:36 AM
    It all depends on if you have a controller-based network or an Aruba Instant-based network.
    Your AMP (Airwave) instance can be responsible for just monitoring those devices or configuration, as well.

You can think of AMP as Aruba/HPE's version of Cisco Prime except that AMP can monitor multivendor networks, including Cisco.

• 3.  RE: Checking SSID's In Aruba

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 25, 2019 09:40 AM

doubled, you was answering while I was writing....

• 4.  RE: Checking SSID's In Aruba

Posted Jan 25, 2019 10:20 AM

Thank you for your answer!  To be fully transparent, I haven't a clue what type of aruba environment we have.  I just know that the AP's are broadcasting the SSID's.  I'm assuming it's a controllerless environment, since they did not give me information on a controller.  What I'm looking for, is to get into the configuration of the SSID's to take a look.  For instance, in Cisco, on the controller, you go to WLAN, and you setup or take a look at your SSID's/groups there.  

We are running AMP 8.0.10

• 5.  RE: Checking SSID's In Aruba

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 25, 2019 09:39 AM

Hi,

could you give more information on this:

- which version of code are you running?

- controller or controllerless (Instant) environment?
    - Which version of AMP are you running?

- What do you want to archieve in detail?

We have many technical information sources, like...

https://ase.arubanetworks.com/

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFJCnuXFGfEbwEzfcgU_ERQ 

or this community, but that you are aware of.

AMP = AirWave Management Platform - yes it is similar to prime...but better :-)

• 6.  RE: Checking SSID's In Aruba

Posted Jan 25, 2019 10:22 AM

Thanks for your answer!

- which version of code are you running?  AP is 6.4.4.8

- controller or controllerless (Instant) environment? Assuming controllerless
    - Which version of AMP are you running? 8.0.10

- What do you want to archieve in detail?  I'm trying to go into the SSID configuratoin.  I'd like to understand how the wireless environment is set up

• 7.  RE: Checking SSID's In Aruba

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 25, 2019 10:35 AM

You will find training videos here - 

https://www.arubanetworks.com/products/networking/aruba-instant/instant-training/

Here you will find the documentation for Instant - 

https://support.arubanetworks.com/Documentation/tabid/77/DMXModule/512/EntryId/21916/Default.aspx

Here you will find the documentation for AMP - 

https://support.arubanetworks.com/Documentation/tabid/77/DMXModule/512/EntryId/14096/Default.aspx

Not one of the newest Releases which are installed.

AMP version is from 2014

Instant from 2017

The Software Version on Wireless is not supported by the used AMP version. There you have to upgrade at least to AMP version 8.2.x

• 8.  RE: Checking SSID's In Aruba

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 25, 2019 11:00 AM

@szanic22 wrote:

Thanks for your answer!

- which version of code are you running?  AP is 6.4.4.8

- controller or controllerless (Instant) environment? Assuming controllerless
    - Which version of AMP are you running? 8.0.10

- What do you want to archieve in detail?  I'm trying to go into the SSID configuratoin.  I'd like to understand how the wireless environment is set up

In AMP/Airwave, click on the access point and see if there is a hyperlink to the controller.  Click on the controller to see if it has an IP address.  Try to web into or SSH into the controller's ip address.

• 9.  RE: Checking SSID's In Aruba

Posted Jan 25, 2019 11:58 AM

Ok, I see!  So I clicked on an AP.  It showed a "VC", so I'm assuming that's a virtual controller that had a hyperlink.  I clicked on the hyperlink, was able to sign in with the same creds as AMP.  Now I see where the SSID's are, and can click edit.  Here's another question for you.  To create a new SSID, would I have to do this on every AP?

• 10.  RE: Checking SSID's In Aruba

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 25, 2019 12:22 PM

Just on the VC.

• 11.  RE: Checking SSID's In Aruba

Posted Jan 29, 2019 08:18 PM

All settings are made in vc. The configuration information will be downloaded to the AP grouped in the same group.