Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Chromebooks and WPA2-Ent

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Chromebooks and WPA2-Ent

Posted Apr 03, 2013 01:03 PM

Hello,

I'm trying to configure a Chromebook to connect to our secured wireless network, but I'm having trouble. I wanted to check here to see if anyone else is experiencing the same issue or if anyone has been successful in connecting their Chromebooks to their secured network.

We have two SSIDs. One is a guest network that is open but requires a guest login. The other is our secured network and uses WPA2-Enterprise/AES, PEAP, and MSChapv2. Users (on devices that connect) enter their AD credentials and login. With the Chromebook, we enter PEAP as the EAP method, MSCHAPv2 as the phase 2 authentication method, no cert, and enter AD username and password, but the Connect button remains grayed out and unclickable. We are able to connect the Chromebooks to our guest WLAN without a problem.

Google searches have returned hits on Google's Chromium site where others are having similar issues, but with no apparent solution. I've found a possible work around, but haven't attempted it because it requires rooting the Chromebook. I'm leaning toward the Chromebook being at fault, but wanted to cover all the bases and check here. Is anyone else having a similar issue/know of a potential solution?

We're running ArubaOS 5.0.2.1 on a mix of 3200 and 3400 controllers, but are planning upgrading to 6.1.3.7 by way of 5.0.4.10 in the next week or so. Our APs are all 125s. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Mark

• 2.  RE: Chromebooks and WPA2-Ent

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 03, 2013 01:27 PM

Join Wifi Network> Advanced.

Type in your SSID

Chose PEAP as your EAP Method

Server CA Certificate Do Not Check

Identity: username

Password: Password

Optional: Save Identity and Password

Click on Connect.

• 3.  RE: Chromebooks and WPA2-Ent

Posted Apr 03, 2013 01:55 PM

Thanks, but I've tried as you've suggested before posting. After entering all the connection info, the Connect button remains unclickable. I just heard that someone in another area here was able to join a Chromebook to our network, but it's not passing data. I've asked them what they did to connect and I'm waiting on their response. If I can get the thing to connect, I might be able to glean some info from the logs, but right now the Chromebook I have will not connect. I'll post back if I'm able to make any progress on my end.

Thanks again,

Mark

• 4.  RE: Chromebooks and WPA2-Ent

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 03, 2013 01:59 PM

As soon as I put in the SSID, EAP Method, Phase2 authentication, Server CA, Identity and Password, I can click on Connect.

• 5.  RE: Chromebooks and WPA2-Ent

Posted Apr 03, 2013 02:09 PM

I wish it worked for me. Here is a screenshot from the Chromebook, notice the Connect button is grayed out :smileysad: :

Screenshot 2013-04-03 at 11.00.58 AM.png

• 6.  RE: Chromebooks and WPA2-Ent

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 03, 2013 02:11 PM

Are you using the Dev or Stable Channel and what version is it?

• 7.  RE: Chromebooks and WPA2-Ent

Posted Apr 03, 2013 02:13 PM

I'm not sure. How would I check? What should I be using? Thanks!

• 8.  RE: Chromebooks and WPA2-Ent

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 03, 2013 02:17 PM

look under help. 

• 9.  RE: Chromebooks and WPA2-Ent

Posted Apr 03, 2013 02:47 PM

The channel is stable. There are a beta and dev-unstable versions available to select.

Version info is: WebKit 537.22 (@145275), V8 3.15.11.17

Does this help?

EDIT: The Chromebook is apparently updating itself. It's at 30%, but will take a while because our guest account is bandwidth limited. I'll post back the results of this update.

Thanks

• 10.  RE: Chromebooks and WPA2-Ent

Posted Apr 03, 2013 05:19 PM

The update didn't solve the issue. I tried the beta and dev channels and those didn't help either. I've created a case with the Google/Chrome folks and am waiting to hear froma  Chrome Ninja. I'll post back anything I find out that might help someone else.

Thanks,
    Mark

• 11.  RE: Chromebooks and WPA2-Ent
    Best Answer

Posted Apr 04, 2013 02:05 PM

Well, I'm a little embarrassed , but I wanted to post just in case it helps someone else. The password field for the wireless network setup on the Chromebook requires 5 or more characters. My AD password had only 4. After I changed it to be long enough, the Connect button became clickable and the Chromebook immediately connected. Thanks for your time.

Mark

• 12.  RE: Chromebooks and WPA2-Ent

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 04, 2013 02:06 PM

Good to know.  Thank you.