Wireless Access

Highlighted
Contributor I

Cisco/Aruba Coexistence/Rogue Issues?

Hello all,

We recently have been starting a small rollout of Aruba access points in some of our campuses. Today we got a 7240 installed in our data center running the latest 8.4 code. As a test, we put an Aruba 515 in our office to play with, but note that in this building the rest of the 14 APs are Cisco. 

We also have a test VLAN and network set up for our Aruba gear that is not part of the production network. But the Aruba AP is broadcasting the same 4 SSIDs that the Cisco APs are. (But when you connect to the Aruba AP you are obviously getting IP from the test network)

I’m getting pretty crappy performance (0.05mpbs at times) out of this 515 and my SE is saying it is due to the rest of the building being Cisco and that the Aruba and Cisco APs are viewing each other as rogues. And that we will have much better performance on our remote campus when they are all switched over to Aruba APs.

But the channel utilization on the Aruba controller is showing around 10-15% interference so it seems like it may be a bigger problem than that. 

I am running 20mhz channels on the 2.4 radio and 20/40Mhz on the 5Ghz radio on my Aruba AP.

Has anyone here ran Cisco/Aruba in the same building with the same SSIDs? Should I be looking into settings that can help solve the rogue issue (if that is the case)? 

Guru Elite

Re: Cisco/Aruba Coexistence/Rogue Issues?

If your client is connecting to the 2.4ghz radio and there is alot of cochannel interference, that might be your issue.  You need to confirm your channel width on the Aruba network and the Cisco network and see if you are facing cochannel interference there, as well...

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.4 User Guide
InstantOS 8.3 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Central Documentation
Aruba Technical Webinars
Contributor I

That’s the strange thing too. The clients I connected with all used the 5GHz radio. Performance was terrible. Could there be issues with both broadcasting the same 4 SSIDs ?
Guru Elite

There definitely could be an issue.

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.4 User Guide
InstantOS 8.3 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Central Documentation
Aruba Technical Webinars
Contributor I

Interesting find. I found that when I went from WPA3 auth to WPA2 auth, it seemed to fix all my slowness issues. Anyone else see these kind of issues when using WPA2 or WPA3?

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: