Wireless Access

last person joined: 14 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Cisco Wifi IP Phone stuck when roaming from one controller to another

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Cisco Wifi IP Phone stuck when roaming from one controller to another

Posted Jan 06, 2012 11:34 AM

We have a hospital site that has multiple buildings close to each other.  Nurses roam from one building to the other via IP Mobility.  99% of the time everything works fine, but we have been having intermittent issues with some phones.

We are using the Cisco 7925 phone.  Sometimes when a users roams from one building to the other, the phone will get stuck and will not roam properly.  The phone will say "Configuring CM List" and will just continue to loop in that matter.  Below are some of the things we have found when this issue happens:

* In the originating controller, the phone is listed as Away.

* In the current controller, the phone is listed as Visitior.

* Phone cannot be pinged from either controller.

* If phone is taken back to the originating building, it will come up fine and register.

* If phone, while back at original location, a call is placed and roam back to the problem location while on the call and ended at the location, phone will stay at the Visitor location fine.

I have not been able to replicate the issue and it only happens to some phones at the most once a day. Has anyone encounter this issue?  Anyone have any idea what could be causing the issue?

• 2.  RE: Cisco Wifi IP Phone stuck when roaming from one controller to another

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 06, 2012 11:53 AM

Please examine "IP Mobility" section of the Optimizing Aruba WLANs for Roaming Devices v3.3 document  here http://www.arubanetworks.com/technology/reference-design-guides/ to make sure you have all the parameters for mobility setup correctly.

Please also open a case with TAC in parallel, because intermittent issues are the most difficult to troubleshoot and require special monitoring.

• 3.  RE: Cisco Wifi IP Phone stuck when roaming from one controller to another

Posted Feb 02, 2012 11:09 PM

Today while visiting the site I had the problem happen to me.  I was walking from one area to another that seems to have bad coverage outside.  At that location  started hearing the conversation becoming choppy until I could not hear anything any more.  I later found that the other person could still hear me though.  Eventually the call dropped.  I associated with another AP in the new location but the phone was stuck in the loop mentioned in the first post. 

If the phone lost Wifi connection, shouldn't it have registered at the visitor controller instead of keeping the same tunnel back to the home controller again?  Is there a setting that controls this?

• 4.  RE: Cisco Wifi IP Phone stuck when roaming from one controller to another

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 03, 2012 01:24 AM

@salvi wrote:

Today while visiting the site I had the problem happen to me.  I was walking from one area to another that seems to have bad coverage outside.  At that location  started hearing the conversation becoming choppy until I could not hear anything any more.  I later found that the other person could still hear me though.  Eventually the call dropped.  I associated with another AP in the new location but the phone was stuck in the loop mentioned in the first post. 

If the phone lost Wifi connection, shouldn't it have registered at the visitor controller instead of keeping the same tunnel back to the home controller again?  Is there a setting that controls this?

By default, it remains a visitor.  Optionally, you can enable the "Re-Homing for Voice Capable Client" option under Configuration> Advanced> ip Mobility> Global paramaters, which will " Allow on-hook phones to be assigned a new home agent. "

• 5.  RE: Cisco Wifi IP Phone stuck when roaming from one controller to another

Posted Feb 03, 2012 11:54 AM

With this option enabled, would that mean that any phone device that roams between the campuses re-IP/register to the new controller subnet?

• 6.  RE: Cisco Wifi IP Phone stuck when roaming from one controller to another

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 03, 2012 11:56 AM
    When the call is finished, yes

• 7.  RE: Cisco Wifi IP Phone stuck when roaming from one controller to another

Posted Mar 26, 2012 01:07 PM

We are still having this issue, we have thought that the issue was with the phone's firmware, but the latest has been loaded and the issue is still present.

• 8.  RE: Cisco Wifi IP Phone stuck when roaming from one controller to another

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 26, 2012 10:01 PM

Please open a support case so they can get to the bottom of this.